Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com> on 2018/03/02 14:45:52 UTC

Re: publishing poi xmlbeans jars

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/attic-general/201803.mbox/browser

I think we could spend a lot of time on the attic approach.

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

Re: publishing poi xmlbeans jars

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Dave. I think it would be good to get the XMLBeans JIRA project
reopened if and when we get the XMLBeans project into the Apache Incubator.
Some of the issues we want to fix are already tracked as XMLBeans JIRAs.

Posted by Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ <AB...@FOR-Scala.IT>.
Yet another dead code generator, used in Apache ODF kit, is MSV.

It seems like code generation from XSD schemas has not much to be changed anymore....
⁣

Posted by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Murphy, Mark" <mu...@metalexmfg.com>.

Posted by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
+1

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ <ab...@for-scala.it>.
+1

Je 2018-03-07 14:40, Dave Fisher skribis:

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Although I think that in the long-term we should go away from maintaining another apache project,
I don't have a better plan for the mid-term ... so +1.

I also think, that the svn + history approach is better than keeping it under POI root.
Even if we don't bring XmlBeans uptodate with annotations and other bling stuff,
the community can benefit from various existing and upcoming bugfixes.

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com>.
+1

[VOTE][RESULTS] Re: publishing poi xmlbeans jars

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

There were 6 +1 votes to take on XMLBeans as a subproject.

Alain FAGOT BEAREZ
Javen O’Neal
Dominik Stadler
Andreas Beeker
Greg Woolsey
Mark Murphy

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com>.
So where are we on this?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

NABBLE Re: publishing poi xmlbeans jars

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
My ISP suppresses Nabble emails. They are bounced - something to do with DKIM.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 6, 2018, at 8:47 AM, Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a question. If we bring it into POI as a sub-project, do we have to
> change its namespace? If it were added to Commons, would it have to change
> its namespace?

In POI we would do as we wish. We would keep it as org.apache.xmlbeans. Commons can likely do the same but that is their PMC. We would need to negotiate with Commons as a PMC we can act now.

> Here is my rational for restoring XMLBeans to an active project or
> sub-project.
>
> XMLBeans is a stable project. It doesn't need much new work, but as new
> Java releases occur, and as technologies change, the need to update
> XMLBeans and keep it current with technology becomes apparent. In the attic
> it can not get these necessary refreshes, and projects which rely on it are
> forced to look elsewhere for the solution XMLBeans provides. Keeping
> XMLBeans alive, not as a zombie, but as a living mature project means that
> those projects that depend on it can continue productively depending on
> XMLBeans as technology advances. The POI project is willing to look after
> XMLBeans since we see the benefit of maintaining it vs. dropping it for
> some other yet to be determined XML solution, both to our own project and
> to others.
>
> After looking over at Commons, it almost looks like that is the appropriate
> place to put it as long as we can do so without changing the namespace.

That’s the question.

>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM, pj.fanning <fa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> My attempt at a short description of why we want to be able to patch
>> xmlbeans.
>>
>> Apache Poi has a significant dependency on XmlBeans. There would need to be
>> a lot of work done to switch to an alternative (and this might happen at a
>> later date). We have identified a few issues in XmlBeans that we would like
>> to be fix and would like to be able to fix other high priority issues that
>> might be reported in future.

Great. We should mention the issues as we resurrect XMLBeans.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

POI devs. Should we discuss quickly what it would mean to take on XMLBeans as a product of POI?

(1) Move code to a POI repository.
(2) Build.
(3) Get control of website.
(4) Release.

Alternatively others have suggested the following:
(A) Take XMLBeans to the Incubator doing the move and asking dependent projects if any dev would like to participate.
(B) Take XMLBeans to the Commons and make it a sub-module of Commons.

I think we have some urgency to move forward. It would help to have a 25 word description about why the project absolutely needs to do this.

Let me know.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.