Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Arul Govindarajan <ar...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/08 19:00:29 UTC

Problems with PSML caching in a load balanced environment

Hi all,

We are deploying a jetspeed based portal application
to a couple of load balanced servers. And, we have
encountered some issues with caching of psml
documents.

Here is a sequence of user events and resultant
problems:

User logs in and gets directed to Server1 (one of the
two load balanced servers).
Logs out(reopens the browser) and logs back into the
application. Gets directed to Server2.
Makes changes to the layout. Let's say, minimizes a
portlet.
Logs out again and logs back in. This time gets
redirected to Server1.
The user cannot see the changes that were made
before(minimized portlet).

The reason that, I think, this is happening is because
... when the user made the changes, the changes will
be updated to the psml document in the database(
assuming that the application is setup to use the
database psml manager); but Server1's cached version
of the psml document does not get updated. And the
cache is maintained across user sessions.

This issue affects, not just the portlet state but
also, portlet preferences if they are stored in the
psml document.

Has anyone come across this issue?

If, indeed, this is true, then, there should be a way
to refresh/reload the PSML in cache everytime a user
logs in. As of now, there is no easy way to do that.
There is a refresh() method in the
DatabasePsmlManagerService. But it is not accessible
through either the PsmlManager or PsmlManagerService
classes and I am not sure if it is a good idea to
refer to any of the concrete implementations of the
service.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Arul

Re: Problems with PSML caching in a load balanced environment

Posted by Arul Govindarajan <ar...@yahoo.com>.
David,
Thanks for the response.
I tried adding the property you suggested. That did
not solve the issue. I have Jetspeed 1.4b1. Could that
be an  issue?

Thanks,
Arul

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>