Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Luca Manganelli <ma...@itc.it> on 2004/11/13 12:18:14 UTC

Asynchronous web services call possible with Axis?

Hi, it's possible to make an asynchronous web service call by SOAP over
HTTP (not JMS) with Axis 1.2?

i.e. the Web Services has an operation like this:

  void callMe (String name);

I don't want to wait the end of the callMe() execution...

RE: Asynchronous web services call possible with Axis?

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <ja...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Luca Manganelli,

There are two possible solutions (that I can think of),

1. 	If you don't want your client application to hang, you can use the
	org.apache.axis.client.async.AsyncCall instead of
org.apache.axis.client.Call class to invoke the service, with a call 	back
method.

2.	The service can be implemented with some form of a thread mechanism,
so 	that it will return immediately after handing over the 	processing
to a 	particular thread.

One other possibility is to write a custom transport which uses HTTP, which
will return immediately. However you will not be able to get any info (not
even a Fault) from the service.

At the moment these are the options available, however we are on the process
of developing Axis 2 which will provide solutions for all these :)

Thanks

Jaliya N. Ekanayake
Lanka Software Foundation
(www.opensource.lk)