Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/27 21:01:57 UTC

Utilize newer hadoop releases WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.0.2 (RC1)

Thanks for replying, Patrick.

The intention of my first email was for utilizing newer hadoop releases for
their bug fixes. I am still looking for clean way of passing hadoop release
version number to individual classes.
Using newer hadoop releases would encourage pushing bug fixes / new
features upstream. Ultimately Spark code would become cleaner.

Cheers

Re: Utilize newer hadoop releases WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.0.2 (RC1)

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
Right, the scenario is, for example, that a class is added in release
2.5.0, but has been back-ported to a 2.4.1-based release. 2.4.1 isn't
missing anything from 2.4.1. But a version of "2.4.1" doesn't tell you
whether or not the class is there reliably.

By the way, I just found there is already such a class,
org.apache.hadoop.util.VersionInfo:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/release-2.4.1/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/util/VersionInfo.java

It appears to have been around for a long time. Theoretical problems
aside, there may be cases where querying the version is a fine and
reliable solution.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.