Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com> on 2019/12/16 19:41:11 UTC

Alternative Windows service installer package

Greetings,

I wrote an Inno Setup 6.x script for installing Tomcat 9.x that I think has
some useful improvements over the NSIS installer:

* Supports silent install (/silent, /verysilent), upgrade, of Tomcat on
Windows

* You can configure any of the following using the installer GUI or the
command line: path to jvm.dll,service name, service display name, service
user name, additional JVM options, and initial/maximum memory pool sizes

* Default installation does not install anything into webapps directory
(although you can select if needed)

Example install command line parameters:

/servicename="mytomcatserver" /servicedisplayname="My Apache Tomcat Server"
/serviceusername=fabrikam\tomcatservice
/jvmoptions="‑Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=WINDOWS-ROOT" /javams=2048
/javamx=4096 /silent /log=install.log

After this silent install all that would be needed is to set the service
account password for the mytomcatserver service and start it.

I was thinking about putting this on Github or similar but my question has
to do with use of the installer images.

The installer I built uses the images from
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/master/res (header.bmp,
side_left.bmp, tomcat.ico) slightly modified for Inno Setup.

Question 1: Do I need to get permission to use these images from ASF if I
host the installer publicly, and if so how would I do that?

Question 2: Is anyone interested in this alternative installer?

Any thoughts/guidance appreciated.

Regards,

Bill

Re: Alternative Windows service installer package

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/12/2019 19:41, Bill Stewart wrote:

<snip/>

> Question 1: Do I need to get permission to use these images from ASF if I
> host the installer publicly, and if so how would I do that?

Generally, Tomcat's source code is provided under the ALv2. Normally,
the answer would be "The ALv2 gives you all the permissions you need.".
However..., those files all contain the Tomcat logo which is a trademark
so section 6 applies which means the ALv2 does not give you permission
to use those files.

So that leads us to:
http://tomcat.apache.org/legal.html

and you need to ask the PMC. The PMC can be contacted via the private
(i.e. there is no public archive) mailing list private@tomcat.apache.org

To save a few emails, you'll need to provide:

- The name you propose using for this installer
- Any changes made to the Tomcat source
- A mock-up of how you'd like to use the images (or a link to a copy of
  the installer if that is easier)
- Details of how upgrade is implemented

> Question 2: Is anyone interested in this alternative installer?

Personally, I'd be more interested in patches to the NSIS installer.

Mark