Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Will Jaynes <ja...@umich.edu> on 2003/03/07 15:37:46 UTC

using ODMG as a singleton

Is it proper to use ODMG as a singleton in my web application? I have
the following class (brief version) that gets the ODMG Implementation
object once, and opens the database once. From then on I simply call
OjbDAOFactory.getODMG().

Is this a safe and proper way to do things? If not, what would be a
better usage?  Thanks.

public class OjbDAOFactory
{
     static Implementation odmg;
     static Database db;
     static {
         try {
             odmg = OJB.getInstance();
             db = odmg.newDatabase();
             db.open("default", Database.OPEN_READ_WRITE);
         } catch (ODMGException ex) {
             LOGGER.error("", ex);
         }
     }
     public static Implementation getODMG()
     {
         return odmg;
     }

Re: using ODMG as a singleton

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@code-au-lait.de>.
Hi Will,

> Is it proper to use ODMG as a singleton in my web application? I have
> the following class (brief version) that gets the ODMG Implementation
> object once, and opens the database once. From then on I simply call
> OjbDAOFactory.getODMG().
>
> Is this a safe and proper way to do things?

I don't see any problems (as long as only
one Database was used).

regards,
Armin