Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "R. Welz" <we...@fixe-post.de> on 2006/01/08 17:58:24 UTC

svn 1.3.0 and Apache 2.2, does that work?

Hello.
Does svn 1.3.0 work with Apache 2.2 ?

Thanks a lot.

Robert

Re: svn 1.3.0 and Apache 2.2, does that work? statically linking doesn't.

Posted by Robert Welz <we...@fixe-post.de>.
Am 09.01.2006 um 21:07 schrieb David Waite:

>> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
>
> You are on a macintosh, aren't you? static compilation will not work;
> Apple leaves out that compiler runtime file on purpose to prevent it.

Just for the records: I found this on the darwin-development list.

Apple sais this is for compatibiliy. So kernel upgrades won't break
the application.
Its a bit weak for a chroot environment but for the rest I agree.

Robert

Posted by Robert Welz <we...@fixe-post.de>.
Robert Welz wrote:

> Am 09.01.2006 um 21:07 schrieb David Waite:
>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
>>
>> You are on a macintosh, aren't you? static compilation will not work;
>> Apple leaves out that compiler runtime file on purpose to prevent it.
>
> Huh.
> I need to have a chroot.
>
> So there is only the hard way, to copy all those needed libraries  into
> the chroot jail.
>
> But thanks for pointing that out, it saves a lot of compile time on a
> G4/866.
>
> Greetings,
> Robert Welz

My chroot jail works now with mod_chroot on the Mac OS X Tiger. Apache 2.2, svn 1.3.0,
dynamically linked. Was quite easy.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.
Yes, any version of subversion 1.x works with any version of apache 2.y.

Just be careful about APR.  apache 2.0 ships with apr 0.9, and apache
2.2 ships with apr 1.2.  apr 0.9 and apr 1.2 are *not* binary
compatible.  So if you upgrade from apache 2.0 to 2.2, make sure you
rebuild subversion to use the new apr 1.2 libraries as well.  What you
don't want to happen is have apache use apr 1.2 and subversion use apr
0.9... that causes things to break.  As long as subversion is always
compiled against the same apr that apache is, you're fine.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Monday 09 January 2006 15:07, David Waite wrote:
> > /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
>
> You are on a macintosh, aren't you? static compilation will not work;
> Apple leaves out that compiler runtime file on purpose to prevent it.

I wonder if we should just flag an error in the configure script when trying
to build a static binary on Mac OS X?

-John