Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Petr Kuzel <Pe...@sun.com> on 2001/05/09 20:28:21 UTC

[xerces2] Note to current XNI state

Hello,

  we are using XNI as it exists in alpha. We found there a problem
with entity callbacks. Consider following demo DTD fragments:

a)

  <!ENTITY % ent "ANY">
  <!ELEMENT e %ent;>

b)

  <!ENTITY % ent " ">
  %ent;
  <!ELEMENT e ANY>

both produces:

  entityDecl(..);
  startEntity("ent",...);
  endEntity("ent");
  elementDecl(..);

The problem is that handler gets information about entities
in markup in the same way as for grammar entities. It is another
pros why to split callbacks in DTD handler as latest XNI suggests.

  Cc.

--
<address>
: <a href="http://www.sun.com/forte/ffj/ie/">Forte Tools</a>

Re: [xerces2] Note to current XNI state

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Petr Kuzel wrote:
>   we are using XNI as it exists in alpha. We found there a problem
> with entity callbacks. Consider following demo DTD fragments:

This is exactly why we were working on new DTD handler
interfaces so that more meaningful information could
be derived. But I haven't heard any concensus from the
community as to whether this is the right way to go.

I don't like the way that the number of methods explodes
in order to handle this feature for a small segment of
the Xerces user base (primarilly editor writers).

Can we come to some agreement on this soon? Why is
everyone so quiet these days?