Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/10/25 23:40:11 UTC

State of spam prevention in Roller 2.0

I've started a proposal for improving spam prevention measures in
Roller. I've posted the first part of the proposal on the Roller wiki,
which covers the state of spam prevention in Roller (as of Roller 2.0,
which is just about ready for release). Later this week, I'll propose
specific features and bug fixes to address Roller's limitations in this
area.

http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_SpamPrevention

Comments, suggestions and flames are welcome - Dave

Re: State of spam prevention in Roller 2.0

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
Of course it is, but like I said, you can get that information from webserver logs.  Why spend valuable processing time managing that data and saving it into the database on each request?  Why not let that data be extracted by a log processing application?

-- Allen

Posted by Lance Lavandowska <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 10/26/05, Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us> wrote:
> I understand how useful the function is, but I think that the cost is
> too high. I have not checked this yet, but are we doing an insert on
> the database for every page hit? I think this might not be best for
> performance and we might disable it on our internal deployment.
> Nothing like a good log analysis tool that parses Apache log files.

As long as it's performant and doesn't have memory leaks, I don't see
a problem with this.  I think it's useful for many developers wanting
to install and try out Roller.  It's one of those features you really
enjoy out of the box.  I agree that corporate installations will
probably use a different strategy - but I think we should develop for
everyone (especially developers that want to blog), not just
corporations. ;-)

Matt

Re: POLL: Log Readers? Analyzers?

Posted by Mihir Sambhus <mi...@sambhus.com>.
I have been using awstats and am very happy with the statistics it provides.

-mihir

On 10/26/05, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Webalizer, only because it's provided by my ISP by default.
>
> http://raibledesigns.com/stats/
>
> Matt
>
> On 10/26/05, Greg Hamer <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Quick Poll ...
> >
> > A post on the roller-dev list mentioned:
> > Nothing like a good log analysis tool that parses Apache log files.
> > Are any among you using a program that they would recommend?
> >
> > Thanks,

Mihir
http://mihir.desihub.com/weblog
http://weblog.sambhus.com

Re: POLL: Log Readers? Analyzers?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Keilitz <ke...@gmail.com>.
I too recommend awstats. http://www.awstats.org/

CK

POLL: Log Readers? Analyzers?

Posted by Greg Hamer <ro...@gmail.com>.
Quick Poll ...

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
I'm not sure I full understand why we make referers available in the first place.  What is the value in tracking what the referer url is inside of the application?  Wouldn't curious site admins just look that stuff up from webserver logs?

I can definitely see the value in counting referers so that users have some sense of how many hits their blog is seeing, but I guess I just have never understood the reason for tracking the rest of the referer information.

In any case, I agree with Matthew that the ability to simplify/limit what happens with referers seems like a very good idea.

-- Allen

Posted by "Matthew P. Schmidt" <ma...@javalobby.org>.

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.
Hi Everyone!