Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au> on 2005/10/10 11:24:29 UTC

Scary Stats

Just messing with a new program, I never bothered looking before at :-

Forrest contains 18,344 Files in 9,004 (?) Folders using a total of
114,001,433 Bytes.

/lib is the greediest hogging 34 %
/tools is right up there with 24 %
/whiteboard is next with 18%
then comes plugins, site-author and main totalling 21 % (8%,7%,6%)

And how many are here maintaining all this ?

Gav...

Re: Scary Stats

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> Just messing with a new program, I never bothered looking before at :-
>
> Forrest contains 18,344 Files in 9,004 (?) Folders using a total of
> 114,001,433 Bytes.

I suspect you are counting the svn files here too, that more than
doubles the file count.

> /lib is the greediest hogging 34 %

Not alot we can do about that, Cocoon is a bit bloated. However, If
someone needs a small production footprint for Forrest it is possible to
shrink this with various tools. I'm no expert on this, but I know it can
be done.

> /tools is right up there with 24 %

Some stuff in tools can go.

> /whiteboard is next with 18%

Whiteboard could do with a spring clean I think, There is plenty of
stuff in there that has no maintainer.

> then comes plugins, site-author and main totalling 21 % (8%,7%,6%)

It has been proposed that plugins move out of trunk and into their own
branch.

Site-author can shrink considerably if we switch to using the
locationmap since files that are the same in 0.8-dev can come from the
0.7 repository. We only need to duplicate them when they get are changed
with 0.8-dev specific info. However, this is a very big job, I propose
doing this when we move to 0.9-dev. At that point I think the plan is to
retire the 0.6 docs, so this folder should shrink alot at that point.

Main will shrink as more stuff is moved out to plugins.

> And how many are here maintaining all this ?

Remember, much of this stuff is libraries from other projects (the 34%
in lib and a great deal in tools, for example).

Still, we do need more people.

Ross