Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tibor Digana <ti...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/12 08:00:29 UTC

Re: Question: EoL for Maven 3.0.5

Hi all,

I would like to have Maven 3.1.1 instead in our Jenkins and env script of
Groovy on GitBox.
What is your opinion and needs?

Tibor

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 11:24 AM Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 17/08/18 12:07, Robert Scholte wrote:
> > Hi Karl Heinz,
> >
> > Maven 3.0.5 is already EOL, meaning we don't develop on it anymore.
>
> In the way you describe yes of course, but we haven't yet officially
> announced that...
>
> > If you talk about plugins supporting Maven 3 (not 3.0.5!), that's up to
> > the plugin.
> > In general I don't think there are that much API changes that will break
> > the plugin.
>
> No this is not what I'm talking about.. Keeping 3 compatiblity is just
> fine.... only a few exceptions we might need to reconsider...but this is
> a different thread.
>

> > Assuming you're talking about maven-install-plugin and
> > maven-deploy-plugin, the question should be:
> > Can we require at least Maven 3.1.0 for these plugins so we can drop
> > maven-artifact-transfer and simply use Eclipse Aether?
>
> No...Ok yes patially but I wouldn't drop maven-artifact-transfer cause
> using Eclipse Aether isn't that simple as the word "simply" implies...
>
> Using maven-artifact-transfer makes it easier in plugins and extentions
> to handle different scenarios....and prevents code duplications etc.
>
> and no I woudln't say to require Maven 3.1.0 as minimum, cause we have
> not yet lifted all plugins to Maven 3 minimum....
>
> That would be the next step after a Time (which might be discussed about
> what amount of time we think it makes sense) of Announcing 3.0.5 EoL...
>
> > This is for me a valid case to ask this question, for most others I'd
> > like to stay Maven 3.0 compatible when possible, it makes communication
> > a LOT easier :)
>
> Yes of course.
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>

> > Robert
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 11:56:48 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise
> > <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi to all,
> >>
> >> based on looking on the history of released I thought about EoL for
> >> Maven 3.0.5 ..
> >>
> >> The question is: What do you think about it?
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Question: EoL for Maven 3.0.5

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
i’m also thinking about required minimum Maven version to something more
than 3.0 - to migrate to 3.x and use SLF4j and JSR-330 features (3.1) in
plugins.

Sylwester

[1] If you want to use JSR-330, you must understand that your code won't be
compatible with Maven 2 or 3.0.x but only with Maven 3.1.0+: even if
JSR-330 is available in core since Maven 3.0-beta-3, it was made available
to plugins and extensions only in Maven 3.1.0 (MNG-5343).

[2] https://maven.apache.org/maven-logging.html

czw., 13 wrz 2018 o 01:37 użytkownik Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1