Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Keith Freeman <8f...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/16 17:08:47 UTC

commitlog partition

I'm spec'ing out some hardware for a small cassandra cluster.  I know
the recommendation (v1.2+) on spinning media is to have the commitlog on
a separate physical disk from the data, but is it considered ok for
performance to put the commitlog on a partition of the OS's disk?

Re: commitlog partition

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Keith Freeman <8f...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm spec'ing out some hardware for a small cassandra cluster.  I know the
> recommendation (v1.2+) on spinning media is to have the commitlog on a
> separate physical disk from the data, but is it considered ok for
> performance to put the commitlog on a partition of the OS's disk?

Separate commitlog wins when the head doesn't move between appends. Your OS
will occasionally move the head to write, f/e, logs. It's probably "ok",
depending on what "ok" means to you. :)

=Rob