Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/01/05 11:00:24 UTC

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> This is one of my least favourite features of this forrest skin.

Look at this version, which is a modified forrest skin, if it's better:
http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/

I took all the suggestions from users like this one and made that skin
from the Forrest one. We will evaluate what users prefer from this one
for the next CSS-only Forrest skin version coming out soon.

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
>

> Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote on 05/01/2003 10:57:21 AM:

[...]
>>What is up with the left hand side of the layout taking up ~45% of the
>
> page?
>
>>    http://studioz.tv/huge-margin.pdf
>>
>>-jon

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
>> Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote on 05/01/2003 10:57:21 AM:
>>
> [...]
>

>>> What is up with the left hand side of the layout taking up ~45% of the
>>

>> page?
>>
>>>    http://studioz.tv/huge-margin.pdf

Jon, what browser are you using? If we know, someone might be able to test.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Santiago Gala wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>>
>>> This is one of my least favourite features of this forrest skin.
>>
>> Look at this version, which is a modified forrest skin, if it's better:
>> http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/
>>
>> I took all the suggestions from users like this one and made that skin
>> from the Forrest one. We will evaluate what users prefer from this one
>> for the next CSS-only Forrest skin version coming out soon.
>
> It would be great if the abbreviated items had an alt tag with the full
> name, to be shown as tooltip.
>
> Take it as "Just one more user suggestion" ;-)

Ciao Santiago :-)

The suggestion is a good one, and it has been fixed a couple of days ago
by brother Jeff. Thanks :-)

Oh, btw we have also fixed that link highlighting bug and now all our
skins validate as HTML4.01.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
>> This is one of my least favourite features of this forrest skin.
>

> Look at this version, which is a modified forrest skin, if it's better:
> http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/
>
> I took all the suggestions from users like this one and made that skin
> from the Forrest one. We will evaluate what users prefer from this one
> for the next CSS-only Forrest skin version coming out soon.

It would be great if the abbreviated items had an alt tag with the full
name, to be shown as tooltip.

Take it as "Just one more user suggestion" ;-)

Regards,
      Santiago

(...)

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Long ones are truncated.
>
> Smaller fonts + truncation looks like a solution for me, no?
>
>> Like Jon has said, that left nav bar chewing 30+% of the page is a
>> killer from a usability angle.
>

> Exactly why I made this other version.
> So, is it better?

yep - with the <a title="full name"/> Rob suggested.

I would cut off on 18 chars width.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 05/01/2003 10:47:30 PM:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 05/01/2003 09:00:24
PM:

> >>Look at this version, which is a modified forrest skin, if it's
better:
> >>http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/
> >>
> >>I took all the suggestions from users like this one and made that skin

> >>from the Forrest one. We will evaluate what users prefer from this one

> >>for the next CSS-only Forrest skin version coming out soon.
> >
> > I can't tell from that page if the left menu will grow to the right
> > forever or not if there are some long names.
> >
> > That's my main beef with the previous one.
>
> Look at this them:
> http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/manual/howTo-startProject/module.html

Better,  but I'd prefer they were wrapped rather than concatenated.

> Long ones are truncated.
>
> Smaller fonts + truncation looks like a solution for me, no?

As above. Smaller fonts + truncation would be my second choice.

> > Like Jon has said, that left nav bar chewing 30+% of the page is a
killer
> > from a usability angle.
>
> Exactly why I made this other version.
> So, is it better?
Yep, definitely better. Still not 'good', but it's acceptable.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> Very nice, clean and good colors - it gives off a comfortable feeling.
>> One thing
>> I would add to the nav items is a title attribute and use the linked
>> page's
>> /html/head/title as the value or at least the complete label (for
>> those with
>> ...).
>

> Sorry Rob, I don't get it... could you please make an example for me?
> Thanks :-)

I assume <a href="foobar" title="the unabbreviated title">the abbrev.
title</a>.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>.
Forgot the code snippet...  The following keeps each navitem at a
constant/consistent height and drops the overflow.  I only just whipped
it out in Mozilla so I make no warrantees for this particular snippet as is.

------------ BEGIN SNIPPET ------------

<head>

  .navitem {
    display: block;
    height: 1.2em;
    overflow: hidden;
  }

  #nav {
    background: #EEEEEE;
    border: 1px solid black;
    padding: 0.5em;
    width: 150px;
  }

  /* <br /> is only for use with no stylesheet */
  br {
    display: none;
  }

effect">1st
     complete nav item name for effect</a><br />

effect">2nd
     complete nav item name for effect</a><br />

effect">3rd
     complete nav item name for effect</a><br />

effect">4th
     complete nav item name for effect</a><br />

effect">5th
     complete nav item name for effect</a>

-------------------- END SNIPPET --------------

- Miles

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>.
Robert Koberg wrote:

>are you addressing me (it was not clear from the organization of your email)?

Sorry about that.  I guess I was a bit overzealous in my reply
trimming.  I was addressing you and the rest of the people following
this thread.

>NKB asked for some examples. That was the point. To clear up anymore confusion,
>the example was to show how to:
>a) use a title attribute to add information to a nav item in a limited space
>b) scroll something ('pre' in this case) in a div
>-- the pre tag as it was used caused the entire page to scroll horiz. I tried to
>offer a simple solution to keep the content on the page and just scroll the code
>area.

I got that.  :)  I was trying to point out other methods to solve the
problem at hand and to illustrate pros and cons of each method.  I meant
no offense.  I just sent my code snippet as another example.

>OK?

Yep.

- Miles

RE: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

are you addressing me (it was not clear from the organization of your email)?

NKB asked for some examples. That was the point. To clear up anymore confusion,
the example was to show how to:
a) use a title attribute to add information to a nav item in a limited space
b) scroll something ('pre' in this case) in a div
-- the pre tag as it was used caused the entire page to scroll horiz. I tried to
offer a simple solution to keep the content on the page and just scroll the code
area.

OK?

-Rob

#2 allows all of the text to be seen, and the nav bottom will simply

#3 Here you tell the browser (in CSS) to keep the nav item heights

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Howdy,

no problem, see below

> > Also, what about putting the <pre/> in a horzizontally scrolling DIV
> > (width:100%)? I don't know how this would work with all browsers (fail
> > gracefully?).
>
> Can you add an example of that too? Seems cool, I wanna try it.

how about something like:

<!-- On rollover in most browsers the title displays like a tooltip -->
<pre>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
</pre>

Of course some tweaking will be necessay :)

best,
-Rob

Re: Incubator home page (was Tapestry)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.