Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Alan Vinh <al...@nist.gov> on 2005/12/23 19:50:38 UTC

Geronimo readme for new app developers?

Hello,

I'm new to Geronimo and would like to write some JSP scripts and
Servlets to run under Geronimo. I'm a little familiar with the Tomcat
directory layout and how it works but can't seem to get things to work
for Tomcat running under Geronimo V1. Reading through the help page (see
link below), there is an example of how to deploy the helloWorld JSP
script into Geronimo.

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1702#Quickstart-ApacheGeronimofortheimpatient-Createanddeployasampleapplication

The above example works fine but it is running under Jetty (i.e. port
8080). If I go to port 8090 or 8453, the default ports for Tomcat, I get
the 404 error ("The requested resource (/hello/) is not available"). How
do I get Tomcat to work or should I stick with Jetty which I'm not
familiar with...

I'm new and learning to write servlets and JSP, so I'm looking for some
easy to follow instructions/readme files/links to get a newbie going
without getting too technical into the architecture of Geronimo. I've
been reading the draft document written by Aaron Mulder (see link below)
but it was for version M4 not V1. Can you point me to some updated
documentation for the "user" (not the developer) that shows what happens
when you deploy an application to Tomcat (running under Geronimo) and
how to access that new application as well as what happens in the
"config-store" directory?

http://chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/geronimo-book.pdf

It seems that the helloWorld application was stored in the
"config-store" directory so if I wanted to make modifications to it, do
I re-deploy using the SAME command but with a different WAR file? Can I
just update the "config-store" directory with the new files instead?

Thank you for any information.

Regards - Alan

Re: Geronimo readme for new app developers?

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
If you're trying to update only individual pages, you can copy them
into the config-store.  It isn't really a recommended approach, but it
should work well enough for development.  The recommended approach
would be to "redeploy" the application using the deploy tool (nearly
the same command except "redeploy" instead of "deploy" and run it on
the updated version of the WAR), or to copy a new version of the WAR
into the geronimo/deploy/ directory (if you deployed it in the first
place by copying the WAR there).

As for Tomcat and Jetty, in version 1.0, we're going to ship
Tomcat-only and Jetty-only builds to avoid this confusion.  So there's
only going to be one set of web listen ports and so on.  If you're
using M5 and you want to deploy an application for both Tomcat and
Jetty, you have to deploy it twice, and use Tomcat-specific and
Jetty-specific namespaces in your geronimo-web.xml file.  That's also
not really recommended, since we're trying to get away from the
two-simultaneous-container approach in 1.0.  In 1.0, you'll just pick
the distribution including Jetty or Tomcat (whichever you prefer) and
all your web apps will be deployed to that one.  As for whether you
should go with Jetty or Tomcat, they're really quite equivalent as far
as Geronimo is concerned.  Nearly anything you do with them will be
the same for either one.  The differences I can think of are:
 - the web access log is stored in different places
 - virtual hosts are configured differently
 - there are special configuration options for Tomcat valves

If you're just learning servlets and JSP, I'm not sure that stuff will
really matter, and the web container should be pretty transparent to
you.

Finally, my book is in the process of being update for 1.0 -- I think
I've made it through about 5 chapters so far.  :)  I'll keep the list
posted as there are significant updates.

Aaron