Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Seshadri G.K." <se...@mindfiresolutions.com> on 2001/03/29 12:15:35 UTC

Some comments

I was just pondering that setting properties like, page-position="last", and
doing something with that, embedding fonts, all the other "difficult
features, like floats, footnotes" still left to be done, are actually quite
easily done in a document editoing and publishing tool like framemaker. It
is very easy to convert the XSL-FO + area model to mif output with all the
features.

Framemaker is iteslf not for free. Is there some free editor , with very
good publishing features, that figures out the actual formatting details? If
there was one like that, we could output to that format and let it convert
to PDF. If it isnt available already , its probably worth starting an open
Source effort, which is basically a document publishing tool, perhaps code
from FOP itself could be re-used? If there 's some way to go from MIF to
postscript withot having to buy framemaker, that would be great!!!

sesha