Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by James Srinivasan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/17 20:28:38 UTC

Namespace vs table permissions

Hi all,

I'm a little confused regarding Namespace and table permissions. My
assumption is that granting Namespace.READ will allow a user to read
all tables in a namespace, even those which are created after the
permission is granted, but before the client tries to access the
table. My specific issue seems to be that
InputConfigurator.validatePermisisons
(https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/rel/1.9.0/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/client/mapreduce/lib/impl/InputConfigurator.java#L782)
seems to only check the table, and not the namespace permissions. Is
my assumption correct? Is there a way of granting the permission I
need?

Many thanks,

James

Re: Namespace vs table permissions

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
You are correct in your understanding of namespace permissions.

That check is a sanity check for fast failure of your job if you can't read
the table. I think you might be right that it's not checking if you have
read permission inherited from the namespace. It is possible that the
check's implementation will also check if you have the permission at the
table's namespace level, but I can't verify the implementation at the
moment. If it doesn't, then this sanity check's lack of consideration for
namespaces is a bug.