Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by David Coallier <da...@php.net> on 2010/07/09 11:38:26 UTC

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

*Bump*

Hey all,

I was thinking that it might be a nice idea to coordinate the redesign
of the website with the release of 1.0.0.

On this, let the discussions begin! :) Anyone's got something?

--
David Coallier

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 9, 2010, at 5:57 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2010, at 13:18, Manokaran K wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one experiencing deja vu now? :-)
>>
>> regds,
>> mano
>

> dja-what now? :D
>
> http://couchdb.apache.org/
>
> I just sent this message to dev@:

way to go!

although I miss the little pillows from the blue design :)

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Fantastic list. Thank you.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 06:52, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Very much +1 on all Noah said.

Ditto

> To keep things moving, I'd be happy to volunteer to play benevolent dictator for the site and work with proper designer and community input.

+1!

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 08:52, afters <af...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think your main goal here is to figure out what messages the website is
> intended to send, and to what audiences. As for the design: form follows
> function.

100% agree. That's why this discussion is worth having, and it's not
primarily about design. It's now primarily about what information we
want to convey to what people. You could say this is information
design, but in this case it's OK for at least a discussion to inform
Jan for when he makes a call. The visual design is the least important
aspect of all this.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 13:57, Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> CouchDB doesn't just serve JSON, it serves *any* content-type you set in an
> attachment and with list and show it can even generate HTML and XML
> resources.
>
> This is why I just wanted to have "HTTP" without a specific content-type.

Great point!

However, JSON is an important part of Couch's story. I agree that we
shouldn't lose the fact that Couch can store and serve up any format
of data, but we also need to make clear all of the advantages of using
JSON for structured data.

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.
CouchDB doesn't just serve JSON, it serves *any* content-type you set in an
attachment and with list and show it can even generate HTML and XML
resources.

This is why I just wanted to have "HTTP" without a specific content-type.

-Mikeal

Posted by Jan-Piet Mens <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 11, 2010, at 1:54 PM, Avi Flax wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 16:47, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> There's an awful lot going on there. I understand that it is making a point, but I think that amount of visual clutter on the front page would be terribly distracting.
>
> I totally hear you. Mikeal's original idea was simply to have a
> browser and Couch. But I think it's important to illustrate that any
> application, programming language, etc, can interface with Couch, it's
> a big part of its appeal. I first tried to find a simpler way to
> represent the concept of an application "tier"… I searched for photos
> and illustrations of gears and engines. But I had a hard time finding
> freely usable images which didn't require attribution, so I gave up
> and went with the word cloud idea. If we wouldn't mind adding an
> attribution line to the bottom of the page, we could try using an
> illustration.
>
> Would it be worth trying keeping the names of those various
> technologies, but organizing them in a neater, simpler, cleaner way?
> AKA not a word cloud?

This isn't usable as is, but it illustrates the point pretty well.

http://skitch.com/jchris/b453y/couchdb-oscon.pdf-page-42-of-83

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.
Take 2.

On 11 July 2010 23:30, David Coallier <da...@php.net> wrote:
> Hey everyone,

Here are some scribbles I've done on Friday and some things (From
crazy to boring) that I've thought of and I'm starting to lean towards
the utterly simple graph.

Anyways:

1) Hand scribble in notebook:
http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-2.jpg

2) Same as above with legend:
http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-3-legend.jpg

Those two diagrams present some flaws. They are horizontal diagrams
where they should be vertical in order to fit on the couch page
(http://couchdb.apache.org)

Here are some much simpler images/ideas and a preview of how they'd
look if used on the site.

3) Diagram: http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-4-gfl.png
Look on CouchDB:
http://skitch.com/davidcoallier/dm4hh/apache-couchdb-the-couchdb-project

4) Even simpler diagram with less arrows:
http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-5-gfl.png
and how it'd look on CouchDB's website:
http://skitch.com/davidcoallier/dm466/apache-couchdb-the-couchdb-project

I'm not really thrilled by any of them even though I like the third one
(3)

I hope this can give some people some better ideas :)

--
David Coallier

RE: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Nils Breunese <N....@vpro.nl>.
What is and what isn't the primary function of CouchDB? The primary function of any database is storing and retrieving data, but that sounds not too interesting to emphasize on the website. Aren't design documents a primary function of CouchDB? When does a design document stop being just a design document and starts being a CouchApp? When it gets its own HTML interface?

We use couchapp (the CLI tool) for all CouchDB development (also handy to keep the code in version control), though we haven't done any stand-alone web applications on CouchDB yet, only API-style stuff.

Nils.
Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@web.de>.
+1 on Jan being our new BD for website design.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 12 Jul 2010, at 14:13, David Coallier wrote:

> +1 on Jan's idea.
>
> I hereby retire.

Noplease, keep sending feedback :)

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.
+1 on Jan's idea.

I hereby retire.

--
David Coallier

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> It is starting to concern me that we're trying to design the site by committee. And design by committee is a terrible way to achieve anything with cohesion. I'm not sure what to do though.
>
> The ideal solution would be for us to appoint a designer/webmaster who's sole responsibility was the design and maintenance of the site. This person could then take guidance from the community on what should be included, and what we'd like on the site - but would be free to call the shots, and ultimately decide how things were going to look.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how we can move towards this, and away from the current situation? Having a bunch of geeks (and we're hardly known for our design prowess in the first place, right?) argue about what should and should not be included will lead us head first into the kind of open source website we all know and hate.

That would be better indeed. But appoint a designer/wemaster or send a
public call for a design ?

- benoit

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by afters <af...@gmail.com>.
I think your main goal here is to figure out what messages the website is
intended to send, and to what audiences. As for the design: form follows
function.

The homepage, for example, describes what couchdb is, but I don't think it
does well to address what visitors would really like to know. Would
MapReduce be of any consideration for someone who's choosing a DB for their
next project? Would javascript and erlang solve major issues for someone
who's considering migrating from another DB? Is there anything to show that
couchdb can be used as a web-server?

Whatever the 'selling points' are, they should be made obvious. The
bullet-points method used in the main page of the wiki is a good way to do
that, in my opinion. And, of course, diagrams.

 a.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@apache.org

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.
On Jul 12, 2010, at 0:14, J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Liking it -- I think it might be time to find an artist.
>
> I'd love to see these drawn in a way that shows instead of tells. Eg: pictures of phones and servers and web-browsers, etc.

Absolutely. This is just a mockup. I do think the pictures will need
labels though, it's hard to convey a concept like "server" as a
picture without losing some people.

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 11, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Avi Flax wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 23:47, Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com> wrote:
>
>> Something like this:
>
> Sorry, bad URL there.
>
> Correct URL:
>
> http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20D,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png

Liking it -- I think it might be time to find an artist.

I'd love to see these drawn in a way that shows instead of tells. Eg: pictures of phones and servers and web-browsers, etc.

Chris

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 23:47, Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com> wrote:
>
>> Something like this:
>
> Sorry, bad URL there.
>
> Correct URL:
>
> http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20D,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png

-1

We don't speak about data in these diagrams and I think we should.
Also they aren't very readable from a design point of view. I can't
read the http and imo it should be a clear communication layer.

- benoit

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.
Oh man, if we just used some raphael.js to draw the lines we could write a
little javascript that randomly fades them in and out :)

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.
We can't get every part of the CouchDB story in to a graphic on the front
page without it just being super confusing.

I think the best that we can hope for is something that makes it obvious
that CouchDB isn't our typical database and is going to talk directly to
your browser or language or device.

Maybe one of the top level links should just be "replication" and have a
details description along with a good graphic because. I think replication
is more important than a "road map" link to a JIRA thing we don't actually
use to track our road map :)

Also, add "Mobile Phone" fairly large to the tag cloud for this front page
graphic.

-Mikeal

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.
Hey everyone,

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 11 Jul 2010, at 20:13, Filipe David Manana wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm no artist myself, but I do a fair bit of diagramming, and when I
>> read your description, this popped into my head:
>>
>> http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20A,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png

Holy crap. BRAIN ASPLODE.

There's an awful lot going on there. I understand that it is making a point, but I think that amount of visual clutter on the front page would be terribly distracting.

> I like most the second, simpler, version. However I think this 2nd version
> must mention REST somewhere. Perhaps instead of "JSON via HTTP", you could
> replace with "RESTful HTTP + JSON" or something similar.

If we're going to have so much clutter, we may as well at least outline SOMETHING to do with the details of CouchDB. Heh, heh.

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com> wrote:

> I'm no artist myself, but I do a fair bit of diagramming, and when I
> read your description, this popped into my head:
>

> http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20A,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png
>
> and a simpler version:
>

> http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20B,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png
>
> Hi Avi,

I like most the second, simpler, version. However I think this 2nd version
must mention REST somewhere. Perhaps instead of "JSON via HTTP", you could
replace with "RESTful HTTP + JSON" or something similar.

I'm not much of a designer myself, let's wait for other opinions.

Good work :)

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@apache.org

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@arc90.com>.
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:14, Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> /me sucks at graphics :(

I'm no artist myself, but I do a fair bit of diagramming, and when I
read your description, this popped into my head:

http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20A,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png

and a simpler version:

http://aviflax.com/images/CouchDB%20Website%20Diagram%20Study%20B,%2011%20July%202010,%20Avi%20Flax.png

I'm not sure I could take it much farther myself, but who knows, maybe
with everyone's help we could make it presentable together — if people
like the concept and basic layout…

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2010, at 17:05, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
> > On 9 Jul 2010, at 18:03, Mikeal Rogers wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe a diagram with a Browser, JSON,  HTTP REST -> CouchDB?
> >
> > I'd like that :)
>
> Yeah. Fancy knocking one up Mikeal? :)

Only if you want to see the first computer generated diagram that looks
*way* worse than a hand written on.

/me sucks at graphics :(

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mikeal Rogers <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.
> It's deja vu all over again.

Ok deja-vu it is. Let's move on and do something.

I've just forked the repo and will start copying some text over the weekend.

Noah, what's the expected release date of 1.0.0 ?

Anyone else willing to help with all the static pages over the
weekend? I'm not designer but I sure want something to along with 1.0
so let's stop arsing around and let's get a move on.

Regarding the design, James, Chris, is there a full width version (By
full width I mean the 2 content columns together not actual full page
width) -- This would be used for the screenshots page.

Cheers,

--
David Coallier

Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Jon Gretar Borgthorsson <jo...@jongretar.com>.
It's deja vu all over again.

Posted by Manokaran K <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Gretar Borgthorsson <jo...@jongretar.com>.
I was just thinking about that.
I think it would be great to have something nice with the upcoming 1.0
release. Even though many of us are geeks and are used to browse some
horrible websites(like most Apache project have) I must say that having a
nice site says a lot about being *a part* of the web. Current website
reminds of the days of dialup and the console. :)