Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Pankaj Misra <pa...@impetus.co.in> on 2013/04/23 08:07:28 UTC

Kafka Broker - In Memory Topics & Messages

Hi All,

I am working on using Kafka for building a highly scalable system. As I understand and have seen, Kafka broker has a very impressive and scalable file handling mechanisms to provide guaranteed delivery. However in one of the scenarios, I am facing a different challenge.

The scenario is such that the message payload is buffered and guaranteed for delivery by an external system, wherein there is no compelling need for guaranteed delivery from Kafka, but there is a need to parallel process the message streams. This made me wonder, if there is some way in Kafka, wherein I can avoid creation of files and instead stream the messages in-memory as they come and still take advantage of Kafka message streams, avoiding the small overhead of file management (avoid some more disk level IOPS).

Would greatly appreciate community's response.

Thanks & Regards
Pankaj Misra

________________________________

Re: Kafka Broker - In Memory Topics & Messages

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
For real time consumers, the overhead from the file system should be small
since the requested data is likely in pagecache and we use zero-copy
transfer.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like you want something like zeromq?

http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all#Divide-and-Conquer

-David