Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Mitch Warner <mi...@fluencyvoice.com> on 2005/02/24 15:07:11 UTC

RDC: defined in .rdc and .xml

Both the .rdc file and the .xml file of many of the sample RDC
components contain a <config> element with the same sub-entries (such as

What is the order of precedence here? Which set of values will be used
by default? Is either of these compulsary, or can you define this config
data in one or other of the files?

Thanks,
Mitch

Mitch Warner | Technical Team Leader |
Fluency Voice Technology Ltd
3rd Floor, Horatio House, 77 Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8JZ
t +44 (0) 208 2376276	f +44 (0) 208 2376263
m +44 (0) 7714 328723
http://www.fluencyvoice.com

This email has been scanned for all viruses by Netscalibur Mail Scanner, powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive email security service working around the clock, around the globe, visit
http://www.netscalibur.co.uk/scanner/index.html

Re: RDC: defined in .rdc and .xml

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
> Both the .rdc file and the .xml file of many of the sample RDC
> components contain a <config> element with the same sub-entries
>
> What is the order of precedence here? Which set of values will
> be used by default? Is either of these compulsary, or can you
> define this config data in one or other of the files?

The .rdc file is purely a tooling extension/documentation helper. It is
meant to be consumed by tools [such as graphical/flow editors etc.] and
contains all meta-data associated with an RDC. The runtime only looks at
the .xml config file [so there is no order of precedence].

An xml config file containing the prompts for this instance gets passed in
like so:

<rdc:date id="myDate" config="myDateConfig.xml" />

If we have this <rdc:date id="myDate" /> we get the "default prompts"
packed with the distro [which is the .xml file you are talking about].
These prompts are very generic like "Please specify a date" and we
probably want to say something specific to the application/call flow for
every RDC instance, such as "Please specify your departure date", and
thats where the myDateConfig.xml file comes in and "overrides" the default
prompts.

-Rahul