Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/19 14:20:53 UTC

UUIDGen in jUDDI v3

Hi guys,

Now that Java has it's own UUID generator do we still need the ones
provided in the org.apache.juddi.uuidgen package? I'm thinking not, but
if anybody has a good argument why we should keep the ones in there then
speak up!

--Kurt

Re: UUIDGen in jUDDI v3

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
I created a unittest for the various UUID generators and found:

1. DefaultUUIDGen: Generation of 100 UUID's took 817 milliseconds.
354A0C80-D8D2-11DD-8C80-A1CCD6EA2465

2. NativeUUIDGen: Generation of 100 UUID's took 2273 milliseconds.
F24B5CBE-ACE1-47B1-A0D2-57C4DB75E531

3. JavaUUIDGen: Generation of 100 UUID's took 13 milliseconds.
8ada24b2-a19f-47d4-b5c2-96b0c71ad8f3

Number 3 uses UUID in java (1.5+ feature)

according to the javadoc of 'DefaultUUIDGen' this one was created to
increase the speed of UUID generation, which indeed is much faster then
using native (none java) solutions.

I see no reason to keep the org.apache.juddi.uuidgen package. We can
always pull it back out of source control if we really need it, but I
doubt we will ever look back.

--Kurt

RE: UUIDGen in jUDDI v3

RE: UUIDGen in jUDDI v3