You are viewing a plain text version of this content. The canonical link for it is here.
Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> on 2022/07/22 20:52:28 UTC

[discuss] nifi 1.17

Hello Everyone,

Somehow Apache NiFi 1.16 is already four months old and we've landed just
under 300 JIRAs [1] on the 1.17 line.  So certainly time and more than
enough oomph in place to warrant a 1.17 release.  I have seen quite a few
asks lately about when we'll do it.  So looking at things in JIRA it seems
pretty well buttoned up.  A few bugs being worked out but with PRs.

Following this cool discussion [2] we now have the ability to build NiFi on
ARM/latest Macbooks which is super helpful for many in the community as
well.

I'm happy to do the RM task.  Will take a look at these few bug PRs on
Monday and if we're looking good will kick off RC1.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12351438
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34

Thanks
Joe

Re: [discuss] nifi 1.17

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
David

Yep thanks.  I'm good with us doing the deprecation in whatever release
makes sense as we get a serious effort on 2.0 in play.

As far as 1.17 looks like one last important bug fix is waiting for the ci
builds then I'll kick that RC1 off.

Thanks
Joe

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 7:25 AM David Handermann <
exceptionfactory@apache.org> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Thanks for initiating the discussion! Moving forward with a release of
> 1.17.0 sounds good, pending the resolution of the issues currently flagged
> as in progress [1].
>
> Thanks for referencing the recent discussion on a release timeline to
> remove support for Java 8 [2]. Keeping the general goal of dropping Java 8
> support by the end of 2022, moving forward with 1.17.0 sounds good. Then we
> could consider deprecating Java 8 support for a release of 1.18.0. Based on
> the general timeline of recent releases, that should put things in a good
> position for a 2.0.0 release around the end of the year. We can discuss the
> particulars in a separate thread.
>
> Regards,
> David Handermann
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NIFI/versions/12351438
> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34
>
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 8:18 AM Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike
> >
> >  Needs some work (unit test) but would kick out RC without it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I would put this one on the list of "potential blockers" for 1.17:
> > > https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/6226
> > >
> > > On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 4:52 PM Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hello Everyone,
> > > >
> > > > Somehow Apache NiFi 1.16 is already four months old and we've landed
> > just
> > > > under 300 JIRAs [1] on the 1.17 line.  So certainly time and more
> than
> > > > enough oomph in place to warrant a 1.17 release.  I have seen quite a
> > few
> > > > asks lately about when we'll do it.  So looking at things in JIRA it
> > > seems
> > > > pretty well buttoned up.  A few bugs being worked out but with PRs.
> > > >
> > > > Following this cool discussion [2] we now have the ability to build
> > NiFi
> > > on
> > > > ARM/latest Macbooks which is super helpful for many in the community
> as
> > > > well.
> > > >
> > > > I'm happy to do the RM task.  Will take a look at these few bug PRs
> on
> > > > Monday and if we're looking good will kick off RC1.
> > > >
> > > > [1]
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12351438
> > > > [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34
> > > >
> > > > Thanks
> > > > Joe
> > >
> >
>

Re: [discuss] nifi 1.17

Posted by David Handermann <ex...@apache.org>.
Joe,

Thanks for initiating the discussion! Moving forward with a release of
1.17.0 sounds good, pending the resolution of the issues currently flagged
as in progress [1].

Thanks for referencing the recent discussion on a release timeline to
remove support for Java 8 [2]. Keeping the general goal of dropping Java 8
support by the end of 2022, moving forward with 1.17.0 sounds good. Then we
could consider deprecating Java 8 support for a release of 1.18.0. Based on
the general timeline of recent releases, that should put things in a good
position for a 2.0.0 release around the end of the year. We can discuss the
particulars in a separate thread.

Regards,
David Handermann

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NIFI/versions/12351438
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 8:18 AM Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike
>
>  Needs some work (unit test) but would kick out RC without it.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I would put this one on the list of "potential blockers" for 1.17:
> > https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/6226
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 4:52 PM Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > Somehow Apache NiFi 1.16 is already four months old and we've landed
> just
> > > under 300 JIRAs [1] on the 1.17 line.  So certainly time and more than
> > > enough oomph in place to warrant a 1.17 release.  I have seen quite a
> few
> > > asks lately about when we'll do it.  So looking at things in JIRA it
> > seems
> > > pretty well buttoned up.  A few bugs being worked out but with PRs.
> > >
> > > Following this cool discussion [2] we now have the ability to build
> NiFi
> > on
> > > ARM/latest Macbooks which is super helpful for many in the community as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > I'm happy to do the RM task.  Will take a look at these few bug PRs on
> > > Monday and if we're looking good will kick off RC1.
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12351438
> > > [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Joe
> >
>

Re: [discuss] nifi 1.17

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Mike

 Needs some work (unit test) but would kick out RC without it.

Thanks

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would put this one on the list of "potential blockers" for 1.17:
> https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/6226
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 4:52 PM Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Somehow Apache NiFi 1.16 is already four months old and we've landed just
> > under 300 JIRAs [1] on the 1.17 line.  So certainly time and more than
> > enough oomph in place to warrant a 1.17 release.  I have seen quite a few
> > asks lately about when we'll do it.  So looking at things in JIRA it
> seems
> > pretty well buttoned up.  A few bugs being worked out but with PRs.
> >
> > Following this cool discussion [2] we now have the ability to build NiFi
> on
> > ARM/latest Macbooks which is super helpful for many in the community as
> > well.
> >
> > I'm happy to do the RM task.  Will take a look at these few bug PRs on
> > Monday and if we're looking good will kick off RC1.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12351438
> > [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe
>

Re: [discuss] nifi 1.17

Posted by Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>.
I would put this one on the list of "potential blockers" for 1.17:
https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/6226

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 4:52 PM Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Somehow Apache NiFi 1.16 is already four months old and we've landed just
> under 300 JIRAs [1] on the 1.17 line.  So certainly time and more than
> enough oomph in place to warrant a 1.17 release.  I have seen quite a few
> asks lately about when we'll do it.  So looking at things in JIRA it seems
> pretty well buttoned up.  A few bugs being worked out but with PRs.
>
> Following this cool discussion [2] we now have the ability to build NiFi on
> ARM/latest Macbooks which is super helpful for many in the community as
> well.
>
> I'm happy to do the RM task.  Will take a look at these few bug PRs on
> Monday and if we're looking good will kick off RC1.
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12316020&version=12351438
> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mm1xf3b9nvrcgytb92oy3swvvc45fl34
>
> Thanks
> Joe