Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2013/06/30 21:00:40 UTC

[VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Here are the release bits for 3.1.0:

Release notes:
https://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=18967

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-084/

Staged distribution:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-084/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.1.0/

Staged Site:
http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.1.0

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.

 -- John von Neumann

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
So probably this is:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=893ca28a1da9d5f51ac03827af98bb730128f9f2
:-)
Regards Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:00:40 -0400
Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

+1,

works fine for our projects.

thanks,

tony.

--
Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) tested with some projects.
Regards Mirko

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

2013/7/7 Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>:
> +1
>
> works fine here
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 30 juin 2013 15:00:40 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>> Here are the release bits for 3.1.0:
>>
>> Release notes:
>> https://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=18
>> 967
>>
>> Staging repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-084/
>>
>> Staged distribution:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-084/org/apache/mave
>> n/apache-maven/3.1.0/
>>
>> Staged Site:
>> http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.1.0
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <bm...@batmat.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

2013/7/1 sebb <se...@gmail.com>

> On 1 July 2013 03:56, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1 July 2013 06:52, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Another problem: the NOTICE file contains the following spurious text:
> >>

>  =========================================================================
> >>    ==  NOTICE file corresponding to the section 4 d of
>    ==
> >>    ==  the Apache License, Version 2.0,
>   ==
> >>    ==  in this case for the Apache Maven distribution.
>    ==
> >>
>  =========================================================================
> >>
> >> This must not be present in NOTICE files, which are required to be as
> >> short as possible (but no shorter).
> >>
> >> ASF NOTICE files must start as per the following example:
> >>
> >> ====================
> >> Apache Maven
> >> Copyright 2001-2013 The Apache Software Foundation
> >>
> >> This product includes software developed at
> >> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
> >> ==================
> >>
> >> Note also that the phrase should be "developed at" not "developed by"
> >> - the distinction is important.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, the NOTICE file refers to additonal 3rd party software,
> >> but there don't appear to be any LICENSE files for the software.
> >> The licenses should either be in LICENSE.txt or linked therefrom.
> >
> > From what I can tell we have been failing this since August 2010.
> >
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=blob;f=apache-maven/NOTICE.txt;hb=bfaf11090a212f8445f2ad929af8acce5a984bf0
> >
> > I can't find change history for
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html so I don't know if we
> > have been failing all the time, or since it was changed.
>
> The leading text enclosed in == was never part of the NOTICE file;
> AIUI it was added by Maven devs when producing the license plugin.
>
> Until fairly recently there was one ASF page which incorrectly said
> "developed by" instead of "developed at"; AFAIK there are now no
> incorrect references.
>
> > And I can see you've raised http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5487
> > to track this.

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 4 July 2013 13:14, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 July 2013 12:52, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 4 July 2013 12:32, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> and
> >>
> >> I undertstand that some test data files cannot have AL headers.
> >>
> >> However, surely any exception which might be agreed does not cover
> >> unit test cases in Java files?
> >> Nor the poms needed to run the tests.
> >> There are several such in the source archive.
> >>

> > Are these in src/test/resources/ or in src/it/ because if so they are
> test
> > data not software we distribute and build.
>
> One example is:
>

> maven-core/src/test/projects/lifecycle-executor/project-with-additional-lifecycle-elements/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/lifecycle/test/App.java

They are all in the rat exclusions list as test resources. They are test
data. They are not part of Maven core or part of the Maven plugins.

> They are all distributed, because they are in the source release.
>
> > Without inspecting each and every test data file and the corresponding
> test
> > case (which invokes the test case using e.g. maven verifier or maven
> > invoker... i.e. files in src/test/java which clearly must have a license
> > header) we cannot be certain that adding a license header will not affect
> > the results of the test... yes the vast majority of them can probably
> have
> > the header added successfully... but I do not see anyone standing up
> > willing to undertake that mammoth analysis task.
>
> Why not just add the header and see what breaks?

Aha! you miss the point.

These are all tests that pass *because* the bug they fix is fixed.

If we add the header, how do you know that adding the header does not
render the test useless.

If there is a regression the test is supposed to fail. If we add the header
and introduce a regression and the test does not fail *because* of adding
the header then we have rendered the test useless.

Thus we cannot "just see what breaks" because the tests are all passing
right now. Only by re-introducing the bug that the test was designed to
detect can we confirm that the presence of the header does not affect the
strength of the test.

The only way to be sure that adding the header does not affect the test
sensitivity is to inspect each test by hand, evaluate what it requires of
the test data and then see if adding the header will affect sensitivity.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Can't reproduce it on my Win7 machine either. I'll close it.

Robert

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

--
-----

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, 4 July 2013, sebb wrote:

> On 4 July 2013 20:35, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > I am withdrawing my -1 on the basis of the feedback I have received from
> > legal-discuss.
>
> The question to legal-discuss was specifically about test data, not test
> code.

That "code" is actually test data.

The test code is in src/test/java

So my view is if it isn't compiled by the build process it is test data...
The "code" you refer to is compiled by the code under test as part of
verifying that it can build code correctly... As such it is clearly data.
If you want to bring it up with legal-discuss, go for it... But I am not
going to rush to modify test data without being sure that the modifications
do not invalidate the tests...

Now I view it rather unlikely that the test data which consists of .java
files will be corrupted by adding a license header, but I cannot say that
it will not have the effect, so this is case by case review and baby steps.

> Does the reply to your query about test data also apply to test code?
> As I read it, that question was not asked.
>
> There are several test code files (and related poms) that don't have AL
> headers.
>
> I think it would be worth clarifying the issue with regard to test
> code before assuming that the answers also apply to test code.

I don't believe you will get a different answer... These files have
historically been distributed, the PMC is putting in place a process to get
the number as close to zero as can be achieved without compromising on the
quality of our extensive test suite... I do not think there is an issue
here... I leave it up to others on the PMC to form their judgement on the
situation... If others disagree or wish to seek further clarification, then
they should do that. The Maven PMC is responsible for Maven releases and as
a member if the PMC I am happy with the view of this as test data

> > My vote is now +0 as I have not tested the distribution and I am waiting
> > for somebody else on the PMC to do the running and make a call on whether
> > we need to fix the NOTICE file for this release.
>
> There are several problems with the NOTICE and/or LICENSE files.
> One is that the NOTICE file mentions 3rd party software, but there are
> no corresponding entries in the LICENSE file. If the 3rd party
> software is not part of the source release, then the references need
> to be removed.
>
> If the 3rd party software is included (presumably as source) then the
> relevant licenses need to be included in the LICENSE file, or included
> as separate files linked from the LICENSE file.
>
> Has anyone established whether there is any 3rd party software
> included in the source release?

Interesting questions... I wonder what others think

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 July 2013 23:47, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2013, at 6:06 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4 July 2013 20:35, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am withdrawing my -1 on the basis of the feedback I have received from
>>> legal-discuss.
>>
>> The question to legal-discuss was specifically about test data, not test code.
>>
>> Does the reply to your query about test data also apply to test code?
>> As I read it, that question was not asked.
>>
>> There are several test code files (and related poms) that don't have AL headers.
>>
>> I think it would be worth clarifying the issue with regard to test
>> code before assuming that the answers also apply to test code.
>>
>>> My vote is now +0 as I have not tested the distribution and I am waiting
>>> for somebody else on the PMC to do the running and make a call on whether
>>> we need to fix the NOTICE file for this release.
>>
>> There are several problems with the NOTICE and/or LICENSE files.
>> One is that the NOTICE file mentions 3rd party software, but there are
>> no corresponding entries in the LICENSE file. If the 3rd party
>> software is not part of the source release, then the references need
>> to be removed.
>>
>> If the 3rd party software is included (presumably as source) then the
>> relevant licenses need to be included in the LICENSE file, or included
>> as separate files linked from the LICENSE file.
>>

> All the licenses we use require a copy of the license, so those are missing and ideally there would be one for each coordinate of a dependency that we use. That you use a dependency in binary form (vs source) only does not preclude adherence to the requirements of the license.

Agreed.

> The software cannot be used in source form and requires the dependencies to do anything to run so they are not excluded in the source distribution.

The NOTICE file needs to be about the bits that are actually included
in the archive.
It's vital that the NOTICE file is as short as possible, but no shorter.

> The license files technically should be included so that can be improved. A licenses directory with the licenses contained within is what I've typically seen and if we automate this would be easier.

That's fine, but the LICENSE file in the binary release should contain
a link to them.

I assume the same LICENSE file could be used for both source and
binary archives, so long as the text makes clear that the linked
licenses are for the additional artifacts included in the binary
archive. There is no requirement for the LICENSE file to be as short
as possible.

>> Has anyone established whether there is any 3rd party software
>> included in the source release?
>>

> To my knowledge all dependencies are in binary form, and there are no excerpts or sections of third party code included in source form in our codebase and therefore none in the source release.

In which case the irrelevant paragraphs need to be removed from the
NOTICE file in the source release.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Jul 4, 2013, at 6:06 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 July 2013 20:35, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am withdrawing my -1 on the basis of the feedback I have received from
>> legal-discuss.
>
> The question to legal-discuss was specifically about test data, not test code.
>
> Does the reply to your query about test data also apply to test code?
> As I read it, that question was not asked.
>
> There are several test code files (and related poms) that don't have AL headers.
>
> I think it would be worth clarifying the issue with regard to test
> code before assuming that the answers also apply to test code.
>
>> My vote is now +0 as I have not tested the distribution and I am waiting
>> for somebody else on the PMC to do the running and make a call on whether
>> we need to fix the NOTICE file for this release.
>
> There are several problems with the NOTICE and/or LICENSE files.
> One is that the NOTICE file mentions 3rd party software, but there are
> no corresponding entries in the LICENSE file. If the 3rd party
> software is not part of the source release, then the references need
> to be removed.
>
> If the 3rd party software is included (presumably as source) then the
> relevant licenses need to be included in the LICENSE file, or included
> as separate files linked from the LICENSE file.

All the licenses we use require a copy of the license, so those are missing and ideally there would be one for each coordinate of a dependency that we use. That you use a dependency in binary form (vs source) only does not preclude adherence to the requirements of the license. The software cannot be used in source form and requires the dependencies to do anything to run so they are not excluded in the source distribution. The license files technically should be included so that can be improved. A licenses directory with the licenses contained within is what I've typically seen and if we automate this would be easier.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Fair enough.

On Jul 4, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> cripple the project and as such I would be looking for the ASF to change
>>> such a decision and provide us with a means of using the NOTICE file to
>>> cover the test data.
>>>
>>> I hate being petty, but unfortunately that is part of the governance role
>>> that the PMC is tasked with... :-(
>>>
>>> - Stephen

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=blob;f=apache-maven/NOTICE.txt;hb=bfaf11090a212f8445f2ad929af8acce5a984bf0

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
>> moral philosophy; that is,
>> the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 July 2013 14:18, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 July 2013 22:29, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will let Barrie decide on whether we *have to* cancel this vote because
>> of the issues he identified in the NOTICE file.
>
> Sebb noticed it.
>
> I just dig the version control sleuthing that showed we have been
> failing this for a long time.
>
> I think having a correct LICENSE and NOTICE file is important.

+1

> As for the header files on test files (at least one rat has been
> configured to ignore) ... maybe not so much.
> I'm still relearning my PMC responsibilities to.
> I think adding something to the NOTICE file for these files is good enough.

The NOTICE file is for *required* notices only, so please ensure it is
necessary to do so.
AIUI this is because the NOTICE file has to be passed on by downstream
consumers.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
[...]

-1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Staged distribution:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-084/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.1.0/
+1 non-binding on the binary/execution, seems to work fine on a mixture
of my projects.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Jason,

On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
> I will try and automate for everyone to have a correct set of attributions.
>
> If you want to manually update the correct files that's fine too.

I think this is now done on master, but requires a release of the remote-resources.   Just haven't had time to do it.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Sorry about that. I did register the issue and I'll make something to generate the correct attributions for the next release. Hopefully the next one will not take 7 months. I sent the first email out for the first 3.1.0 on December 2nd, 2012 :-)

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Apache Mahout builds OK with Apache Maven 3.1.0.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavić.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
AWESOME!!! Thanks for getting this out the door.

manfred

Re: [VOTE] Apache 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.