Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/04 14:30:30 UTC

Re: Searching Database

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 4:00 AM, Richard Nielsen <
richard@nielsenagencies.com.au> wrote:

> Just had a quick question in regards to the tables in Open Office. I have
> created a database of customers and wanted to know how to search for
> specific criteria and create a list based on this criteria.
> When I click the binoculars and search that way, it will find what I’m
> looking for by highlighting the cell. I wanted to know how to create a run
> sheet. For example, if I have a bunch of customers buying a particular
> product in NSW can I search the table for all customers in NSW that buy
> that product and create a list of these?

Hello Richard, it depends on how your table has been created.

Is it created in Calc? If so dispense with the binoculars for producing
your run sheet. Instead...
- highlight the entire data range, including the column titles
- select "Data | Filter | AutoFilter" from the menu
---- Once this is done the heading row will have small buttons next to each
title
- Click the button to open a list that allows you to filter the rows of the
spreadsheet.
NOTE: to select based on a partial value, or a cell containing nothing,
select the "Standard Filter" option from the list that opens when the
button on the row title is clicked.

A caveat, as more rows of data are added the process of selecting rows must
be repeated so the filters encompass your entire data range. Alternatively
the initial selection may include additional blank rows so that as rows of
data are added the row has already been selected as part of the filter
range.

If table is created with Base, again dispense with the binoculars.
- open the database
- select the Queries icon in the left hand portion of the window
- select a method to create your query from the Tasks lists.
---- if you're unfamiliar with creating queries I suggest selecting the
"Use Wizard to Create Query..." option