Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Robert Levasseur <bo...@cvlis.com> on 2008/12/01 01:14:32 UTC

Commons NET

The Apache Commons website indicates that the 2.0 branch of Commons Net will
only run on JDK 5.0 or higher.

Would it be possible for the FTPS components of 2.0 Commons NET to be built
using Java JDK 1.4.1 ?

If not and since I only need the FTPS components, is there any reason I
cannot rebuild these components using 1.4.2 ?

Thanks.

Re: Commons NET

Posted by Brent Worden <br...@gmail.com>.
I'm not familar with the source code either, so I don't know what
limits it from being build with Java 1.4.  However, have you tried
using retroweaver or some other back-porting tool? That might save
time over changing the source code directly.

HTH,

Brent Worden

Re: Commons NET

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Robert

It is certainly possible, and should be fairly straightforward for JDK
versions 1.4+.  I cant think of any reason why this is not possible.

Rory

Re: Commons NET

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
You can always build a version of any of the Apache projects for your own
usage (that's what's so great about the Apache license :).  I'm not very
familiar with the NET code, but if anything within the source code requires
JDK5+, then the entire build will probably have to be run with a JDK5+
compiler.  We might be able to back-port the FTPS support pieces to a 1.x
branch and do another 1.x release (perhaps 1.5.1?), though.  Rory?