Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/23 09:33:35 UTC

Oak 0.2 release plan

Hi,

We're getting closer to the end of April and the 0.2 release, so
following up from the earlier roadmap [1], here's a list of issues I'd
love to see included in the release:

  * Basic CRUD operations over JCR and HTTP
  * Extension model for plugging in alternative storage backends
  * Basic in-cloud persistence (no performance or stability goals yet)
  * Clustering model that supports the above CRUD operations
  * Runnable jar with "join cluster" functionality
  * Oak API basics in place (as discussed)
  * JCR model with first batch of TCK tests passing
  * Query interfaces: one impl for parser, indexer, execution interfaces
  * Basic WebDAV(ex)-based removing (at least CRUD)
  * OSGi bundle packaging
  * MK garbage collection
  * Integration tests to verify the above
  * Basic performance tests for simple read and write scenarios

Some of this is already in place, some not yet, and some still needs
tweaking. I'll try to set these up in Jira so we can track progress
over the week, and hopefully cut the 0.2 release candidate either on
Friday or next Monday. Alex, you ready for some release action again?

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/7dhxklytr2xaoe24

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Oak 0.2 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Alex Parvulescu
<al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What would be nice is to attach an issue number to each item on this list,
> and mark it as to be fixed for 0.2 even if it is still unresolved.
> This way it is a lot easier to track the remaining work to be done.

Agreed, though at this stage many of the tasks are still a bit vaguely
defined so setting a clear target is a bit challenging for some tasks.
We'll need to work on that as we move forward.

Anyway, I just cleared the last issue tagged for 0.2, and I think
we're fine to cut the release from trunk as it now exists.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Oak 0.2 release plan

Posted by Alex Parvulescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Alex, you ready for some release action again?
yes, I am :)

I was just looking at the issues in oak, and I see a lot of them are
unscheduled [0].

You've listed a big number of TODOs for this week's hackathon, and
hopefully most of them will get done.

What would be nice is to attach an issue number to each item on this list,
and mark it as to be fixed for 0.2 even if it is still unresolved.
This way it is a lot easier to track the remaining work to be done.

thanks,
alex

[0]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+OAK+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

Oak Bundles (was : Oak 0.2 release plan)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

So, I attached a patch generating bundles out of the mk, core, and jcr modules.

As indicated in the bug I saw a small number of issues:

There are a number of problems with the current code structure:

* An explicit Export-Package statement is needed in each
  module because by default the bundle plugin exports
  anything not inside (below) an impl or internal package.

* Core still contains MK stuff referring to packages
  presumably private to the MK module (see also OAK-57)

* QueryEngine and ResultRow in core .api refer to CoreValue
  residing in a non-exported package. This should be fixed
  (move CoreValue or don't refer to CoreValue)

* To make it easier to decide between public (externally
  usable) and internal packages, I suggest to move internal
  packages below a common packages, e.g. o.a.j.mk.internal.*
  for the MK module. This assists users to identify presumably
  internal code and helps the bundle plugin in deciding
  what to export and what not.

The bundles generated with the patch look good, but I did not test this stuff yet in a real OSGi framework. Maybe we should create functionality in the JCR module (or in a separate module) to create and expose an Oak Repository as an OSGi service - when running in an OSGi framework.

Regards
Felix

Re: Oak 0.2 release plan

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.