Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Krassimir Dimov <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2000/09/17 20:19:17 UTC

Setting Tomcat to use Cocoon for *.xml requests

Hello,

I am trying to set up Tomcat to use Cocoon for .xml
handling. I built cocoon, set up the classpath for
Tomcat to reference cocoon.jar, xalan.jar, xerces.jar
& fop.jar files. The only problem I'm having is the
cocoon.properties file - for initialization of cocoon.
Tomcat can not find it. I coppied the
cocoon.properties file in the C:\tomcat\conf
directory, and editted the web.xml file, located in
the same directory with the following entry:

<!-- Cocoon Settings -->
    <servlet>
	<servlet-name>
	    org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
	</servlet-name>
	<servlet-class>
	    org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
	</servlet-class>
	<init-param>
	    <param-name>
	    	properties
	    </param-name>
	    <param-value>
		..\conf\cocoon.properties
	    </param-value>
	</init-param>
    </servlet>
<!-- End of Servlet Cocoon settings -->
    <servlet-mapping>
	<servlet-name>
	    org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
	</servlet-name>
	<url-pattern>
	    *.xml
	</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

This is what I am getting when I try to run Cocoon.xml
(http://localhost:8080/Cocoon.xml)
I know that my problem is in referencing the
cocoon.properties file.

Unable to open resource: ..\conf\cocoon.properties
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:123)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(ServletWrapper.java:315)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:445)
	at
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:160)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any suggestions? Your help will be appreciated.

Krassimir

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Setting Tomcat to use Cocoon for *.xml requests

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
At 11:19  17/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to set up Tomcat to use Cocoon for .xml
>handling. I built cocoon, set up the classpath for
>Tomcat to reference cocoon.jar, xalan.jar, xerces.jar
>& fop.jar files. The only problem I'm having is the
>cocoon.properties file - for initialization of cocoon.
>Tomcat can not find it. I coppied the
>cocoon.properties file in the C:\tomcat\conf
>directory, and editted the web.xml file, located in
>the same directory with the following entry:

Is this via a webapp ? A webapp theoretically shouldn't be able to read out
of it's own directory so try including web.xml and the properties inside
webapp directory ?

Try making a webapp instead

		..\conf\cocoon.properties

><!-- Cocoon Settings -->
>    <servlet>
>	<servlet-name>
>	    org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
>	</servlet-name>
>	<servlet-class>
>	    org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
>	</servlet-class>
>	<init-param>
>	    <param-name>
>	    	properties
>	    </param-name>
>	    <param-value>
>	    </param-value>
>	</init-param>
>    </servlet>
><!-- End of Servlet Cocoon settings -->
>    <servlet-mapping>
>	<servlet-name>
>	    org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
>	</servlet-name>
>	<url-pattern>
>	    *.xml
>	</url-pattern>
>    </servlet-mapping>
>
>This is what I am getting when I try to run Cocoon.xml
>(http://localhost:8080/Cocoon.xml)
>I know that my problem is in referencing the
>cocoon.properties file.
>

>Unable to open resource: ..\conf\cocoon.properties
>java.lang.NullPointerException
>	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:123)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(ServletWrapper.java:315)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:445)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http
ConnectionHandler.java:160)
>	at
>org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
>	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>

>Any suggestions? Your help will be appreciated.
>

>Krassimir

Cheers,

Pete