Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Antonio Merighi <me...@mail.eng.it> on 2000/02/15 11:28:37 UTC

How to init a JSP

I would like to know how to set init parameters to a JSP.
I saw that for servlets there is the web.xml  in WEB-INF,
but I don't know how to use it for a jsp that it isn't under
WEB-INF, but it's in jsp directory, like the snoop.jsp in
"example" context.
I tried to write a web.xml file like:

<web-app>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
            snoop.jsp
        </servlet-name>
        <jsp-file>
            /examples/jsp/snoop.jsp
        </jsp-file>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>
                file
            </param-name>
            <param-value>
                /usr/local/etc/jsp/jsp.properties
           </param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>
</web-app>

but it seems it didn't like it.
Where are my mistakes?
Thanks.
Antonio

Re: XML File format

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@unix.amherst.edu>.
Brill Pappin wrote:
> I mean, why use this format:
> <init-param>
>               <param-name>file</param-name>
>               <param-value>/usr/local/etc/jsp/jsp.properties</param-value>
> </init-param>
>
> rather than this format?:
> <init-param name="file" value="/usr/local/etc/jsp/jsp.properties"/>

The second does not permit multiple param-values, for one.

Cheers,
Laird

XML File format

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@jmonkey.com>.
Quick question:
Why was the XML file set up the way it was?

I mean, why use this format:
<init-param>
              <param-name>file</param-name>
              <param-value>/usr/local/etc/jsp/jsp.properties</param-value>
</init-param>

rather than this format?:
<init-param name="file" value="/usr/local/etc/jsp/jsp.properties"/>

The second seems much cleaner to me... and is clearer to read when perusing
the file.

- Brill Pappin
  www.jmonkey.com

Re: How to init a JSP

Posted by Gunther Schadow <gu...@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>.
your init-param thing seems fine to me, however, you may encounter
a whitespace problem here, I'm not sure.

To remember:

(1) the init-param element repeats for each parameter

(2) try this instead

         <init-param>
             <param-name>file</param-name>
             <param-value>/usr/local/etc/jsp/jsp.properties</param-value>
         </init-param>

(3) However, I have no idea why/how you can use the snoop.jsp file
as a servlet. Why do you need init parameters for a jsp page? I
don't understand this, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

(4) If you have a real servlet, you should have something like

      <servlet>
        <servlet-name>myservlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.myorg.mypack.MyServlet</servlet-class>
	<!-- init parameters here -->
      </servlet>

      <servlet-mapping>
	 <servlet-name>myservlet</servlet-name>
	 <url-pattern>/myservlet</url-pattern>
      </servlet-mapping>

The servlet mapping element turned out to be important for me so that
the servlet would be activated through

of course you have to make sure that the apache.conf and the server.xml
files also know about your web-app context.

regards
-Gunther