Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <ro...@oucs.ox.ac.uk> on 2010/03/02 22:57:45 UTC

Licence compatibility question?

Does anyone (particularly mentors) have an answer to the following legal
question:

In the contributed PHP connector framework (thanks Raido Kuli) there is
a file that is licenced under a license that is not OSI approved. It is
"most like" the Artistic License. However, in my opinion is of a
questionable legal standing (but not intent).

The license text is at http://keithdevens.com/software/license

In my (admittedly cautious) opinion we cannot include this code in an
Apache release. Of course I am not a lawyer.

Do mentors have an opinion in this?

[NOTE for those new to the ASF, there is a legal team to help with this
kind of issue. However, we should try and resolve issues here before
escalating to the legal team]

Ross

--
Ross Gardler
ross.gardler@oucs.ox.ac.uk

Re: Licence compatibility question?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 03/03/2010 13:15, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> And if such an issue surfaces again in the future, the policy, if I
> remember correctly, is to not accept any license that is not
> OSI-approved (and of course compatible with the Apache license), to
> avoid any problem related to a mis-interpretation of the license
> wording, and also to avoid asking our legal team to validate lots of
> "exotic" licenses.

That is certainly my personal policy and I'm pleased to hear it is also
the (likely to be) the policy of legal@

Ross

Re: Licence compatibility question?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Ross Gardler <ro...@oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone (particularly mentors) have an answer to the following legal
>> question:
>>
>> In the contributed PHP connector framework (thanks Raido Kuli) there is a
>> file that is licenced under a license that is not OSI approved. It is "most
>> like" the Artistic License. However, in my opinion is of a questionable
>> legal standing (but not intent).
>>
>> The license text is at http://keithdevens.com/software/license
>>
>> In my (admittedly cautious) opinion we cannot include this code in an Apache
>> release. Of course I am not a lawyer.
>>
>> Do mentors have an opinion in this?
>>
>> [NOTE for those new to the ASF, there is a legal team to help with this kind
>> of issue. However, we should try and resolve issues here before escalating
>> to the legal team]
>>

> If this is still an issue, see following JIRA for relevant information
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-64

And if such an issue surfaces again in the future, the policy, if I
remember correctly, is to not accept any license that is not
OSI-approved (and of course compatible with the Apache license), to
avoid any problem related to a mis-interpretation of the license
wording, and also to avoid asking our legal team to validate lots of
"exotic" licenses.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: Licence compatibility question?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Licence compatibility question?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 02/03/2010 22:10, Raido Kuli wrote:
> This file does not exist in PHP framework anymore. Latest release,
> which I attached today earlier does not contain that file.

I swear I checked the dates on the files. Seems I'm too tired to be
doing this stuff right now.

Anyway, thanks for solving the problem before I raised it ;-)

I've updated the files in SVN, thank you very much for your
contribution. I'm now going to test this in my fledgling Drupal plugin.

Ross

Posted by Raido Kuli <ra...@gmail.com>.