Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/11/02 04:11:00 UTC

[drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?

Is there any reason to keep this around in the main branch?

geir

Re: [drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Right, it is in the default code path. So it is regularly exercised, tested,
fixed. v5 is the one in development. If gcv4 is neither being fixed, nor
developed why keep it? Sorry for the double negatives :-)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I actually think that setting an announced date for taking away
deprecated features is a good idea Mikhail. IMHO, dead code also creates
some risk.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Since we have accepted GCV4.1 as the default and GCV5 as the development GC
based on several list discussions, I think that we may be OK with announcing
that GCv4 is deprecated, and maybe taken out of the active tree by end of
2006?

Patches that are still coming in that only work with GCV4, probably began
development quite a while ago ... since the default code does not pick up
GCV4, I am not sure how they are passing acceptance tests, unless their
functionality is not covered by the existing tests. Anyway, this is risky
IMHO, since as soon as we add the right test to the acceptance suite, the
functionality will fail( since we will only run tests with default paths ).
Anyway, announcing deprecation will only help, IMHO. Thanks for bringing
this up.

Rana

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Yeah, put some logging statements in.  Ask Tim if you need some help ;)

LOL, I'd be delighted.  Of course, native code is different since there
is no opportunity for introspection by the VM, so in this case logging
is a necessary evil^W technique.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Nikolay Kuznetsov wrote:
> Let me answer for Artem :), he is on vacation and most probably won't
> answer soon.
> We do occasionally use GCv4 to verify some threading issues, since
> native threading resource allocation depends on "weak references".
> Thus I would agree with Ivan, that sometimes it is helpful to switch
> to different code base(which is handy and considered to be stable
> enough), but if gcv4 won't be supported any more why don't drop it
> having in mind that one can always take older revisions from SVN.
>
> +1 for dropping GCv4

 From that argument, I'm now against dropping GCv4, if you actually get

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aleksey Ignatenko <al...@gmail.com>.
GCv4 is an "old friend" actually :), dropping it from the main trunk will
precisely "kill" it . Actually, I would say that it is usefull to have
working GCv4 at least untill we are done with class unloading.
So my
-1 for a quarter.

Aleksey.

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.
Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> I would like to know the opinion of Artem, Salikh and Alexey
> Ignatenko. They have used the GC and may have reasons to keep it.

As for me, I used it to debug heap iteration because it had heap iteration
implementation earlier than GC v41.

Now that GC v41 also developed support for heap iteration, there is no
reason for me to keep using GC v4.

+1 to drop GC v4.

Re: [drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
+1 for dumping GCv4 --- I got carried away and forgot to vote!

On 11/1/06, Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is there any reason to keep this around in the main branch?
>

> Actually, this brings up something I have been meaning to do for a few
> days -- ask for volunteer(s) to help with the MMTk port.  It turns out that
> the current MMTk port depends on the underlying GC to create a 450MB
> array.  This big array is used as MMTk's "user-level" java heap.  The
> solution of course is to dump GCV4 and also complete the MMTk port.
>
> It seems I am spending most of my time committing drlvm patches,
> discussing VM architecture issues and dealing with stability issues.  It
> does not look like I will get around to working on MMTk port for a while :(
> However, I can certainly show volunteers how to pick up the MMTk port and
> run with it :)  Basically what needs to be done is in the email of Oct 23
> titled, "[DRLVM][MMTk] current status and plan".  I will run a seperate
> email asking for volunteers to work on MMTk port.
>
> --
> Weldon Washburn

Weldon Washburn

Re: [drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
Except for the MMTk integration temporary need, I think the only
reason is to test the interface so that some GC/VM developer may not
break it unintentionally. But two GCs (v4.1/v5) are enough at the
moment for interface maintenance.

Thanks,
xiaofeng