Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Shawn Castrianni <Sh...@halliburton.com> on 2008/06/03 19:10:25 UTC

tag missing from ivy.xml

The ivy.xml contains metadata about an ivy module like name, organization, branch, publications, and dependencies.  The branch is nice to record so we know what branch of source code was used to build a given module.  However, what if the module was built from a tag.  Shouldn't we have tag as an attribute of an ivy module?  Currently I have been overloading the branch attribute to store tag names as well as branch names, but it seems messy.  Just curious what others thought.

---
Shawn Castrianni

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Re: tag missing from ivy.xml

Posted by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net>.
On Tue 2008-06-03 at 12:10h, Shawn Castrianni wrote on ivy-user:
> The ivy.xml contains metadata about an ivy module like name,
> organization, branch, publications, and dependencies.  The branch is
> nice to record so we know what branch of source code was used to
> build a given module.  However, what if the module was built from a
> tag.  Shouldn't we have tag as an attribute of an ivy module?
> Currently I have been overloading the branch attribute to store tag
> names as well as branch names, but it seems messy.  Just curious
> what others thought.

Some thoughts:
Pro: In CVS, branches are just a special kind of tag (sharing the same
namespace too), so using the branch attribute for tags is probably
just fine.
Con: A tag is usually a symbolic name for a revision, so either the
tag should be used as the revision attribute, or else it is redundant
with the revision attribute.

-- Niklas Matthies