Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/17 13:23:26 UTC

Commons Transaction: read/write/upgrade locks interesting for OJB?

As I had already announced in another thread in the user list Jakarta
Commons Transaction will support read/write/upgrade locks including
deadlock detection in its 1.1 release (current is 1.0): Here are the
Javadocs of the lock manager

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/transaction/apidocs/org/apache/commons/transaction/locking/ReadWriteUpgradeLockManager.html

The exisiting code as well as the docs would need to be brushed up for
the 1.1 release, but basicly it's all there...

If this is interesting for OJB I would be glad to explain more and
help adding it. If not I would also be glad to share knowledge and
experience.

Cheers,

Oliver

Re: Commons Transaction: read/write/upgrade locks interesting for OJB?

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:50:42 -0500, Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Definitely interested in it for object level locking! I've been
> (slacking for the last month and a half) working on providing object
> transactions, isolation, and locking at the persistence broker level
> (right now it is just available through ODMG) and (less mature and not
> really worked on except for bug fixes) the OTM.

That's exactly what the locking was designed for. Additionally there
are ACID transaction maps either using pessimistic blocking locks or
snapshot isolation. Maybe this can be interesting as well.

However, using both Java and database locks entail the hazard of
distributed deadlocks. Because of this I am not longer sure what
should be the strategy for Object caching...

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
Definitely interested in it for object level locking! I've been
(slacking for the last month and a half) working on providing object
transactions, isolation, and locking at the persistence broker level
(right now it is just available through ODMG) and (less mature and not
really worked on except for bug fixes) the OTM.

-Brian