Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ma...@hbinc.com on 2005/10/21 23:39:27 UTC

spamd parent runs as root?

I've created a spamd user, and I'm running spamd with a "--username spamd" option.

ps -aux | grep spamd shows that all the children are running as the spamd user... but the master spamd process is running as root!

Is this expected?

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer

Re: spamd parent runs as root?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com wrote:
> I've created a spamd user, and I'm running spamd with a "--username spamd" option.
>
> ps -aux | grep spamd shows that all the children are running as the spamd user... but the master spamd process is running as root!
>
> Is this expected?

Yes, because you've got to be root to bind to port 783.

Thus the master process kicks off a child as root and it setuid's itself to
spamd after it's bound the port.

Apache httpd works the same way.. take a look sometime, there's one running as
root and a bunch running as apache or httpd.