Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Andy Riedel <an...@hearme.com> on 2000/04/14 02:42:50 UTC

[Catalina] Startup Error

Ooops. Put [Jakarta] instead of {Catalina] the first time around. Sorry....

The latest source release of ANT properly builds Jakarta. The binary
release version available from the download page does not.

Once I got this working, I found several othe issues:

1) The XMLMapper only locates conf/server.xml properly if the current
directory when the server is started is CATALINA_HOME. What this implies is
that you must currently be in the top level directory of the Catalina build
and start the server with something like:

     bin/catalina.sh run

2) When the XMLMapper locates the server.xml file, it throws the following
error. Any ideas?

XmlMapper: Debug level: 999
XmlMapper: Set locator : com.sun.xml.parser.Parser$DocLocator@2398fa87
ERROR reading conf\server.xml
At Line 15 /Server/Engine/ defaultHost=localhost unknownHost=localhost

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.ObjectCreate.start(XmlMapper.java:453)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java,
Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.startElement(XmlMapper.java:68)
	at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Parser.java:1390)
	at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Parser.java:1498)
	at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Parser.java:1399)
	at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parseInternal(Parser.java:491)
	at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:283)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:198)
	at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:266)
	at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Catalina.main(Catalina.java:113)

Andy

Re: [Catalina] Startup Error

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Andy Riedel wrote:

> Ooops. Put [Jakarta] instead of {Catalina] the first time around. Sorry....
>
> The latest source release of ANT properly builds Jakarta. The binary
> release version available from the download page does not.
>
> Once I got this working, I found several othe issues:
>
> 1) The XMLMapper only locates conf/server.xml properly if the current
> directory when the server is started is CATALINA_HOME. What this implies is
> that you must currently be in the top level directory of the Catalina build
> and start the server with something like:
>
>      bin/catalina.sh run

I haven't really focused on getting Catalina to start/stop cleanly yet, since it
isn't really functional.  We'll need to end up with scripts similar to Tomcat 3.x
once there's enough there to actually run.

> 2) When the XMLMapper locates the server.xml file, it throws the following
> error. Any ideas?

It worked last time I tried this, but it's been several weeks (focused on debugging
3.1).  I get a similar dump under Linux now, but it's an IllegalArgumentException
rather than a NullPointerException.  I will work on this later tonight, and check
in stuff that works with the current Ant and son on.

Craig