Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org> on 2002/07/04 17:47:28 UTC

Build targets (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)

Next, the build process.

<diana>
2. Build targets need to be added to address all of Cocoon's current
builds.
</diana>

<steven>
well... I have been planning (and postponing) to clean up the current
forrest build environment and *finally* support remote project
building - unfortunately, I will not be able to work on this before next
week.

Given that, there shouldn't be any adaptation necessary anymore.
</steven>

<david>
A while ago Ken said that he would attend to upgrading
Forrest's Centipede (which includes the Ant 1.5) to enable
the use of the scratchpad 'transform-v11' targets.
So be careful of effort overlap.
</david>

<steven>
The more I am looking at the current build system, the more I get the
feeling it is too much for what we are currently doing. I'd be happy if
Nicola patches it, even adding that new 'import' tag he is currently
advocating, but I want to move forward. I'm not so sure whether his and
my plans would conflict, but I'll keep everyone informed so that we can
minimize that risk.
</steven>

Clarification needed: What is the scope of "remote project building"? Is
it correct to assume:

1. Forrest's only concern is building Cocoon's web site, and it does
that remotely.
2. Cocoon continues with its own build environment (with some minor
modifications) to produce *all* other doc-related (e.g. user docs in the
distro) and other targets. In other words, Cocoon continues using just
Ant, not Centipede, at least for now.

Diana

Re: Build targets (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Yep, the idea is to generate Ant build.xml snippets using XSLT starting
> from the forrest.xconf file and then include those using XML entities,
> the Ant or your new Import Task in the main build environment. I'm
> biased towards the Ant 'Ant' Task right now, since I assume it is
> working already and offers some isolation between the different projects
> being build by Forrest. But I would be happy to switch to another
> approach if someone suggests me to do so.

Instead of generating snippets and combine them with other
snippets to a build.xml, you can pull in premanufactured
XML from the XSLT:
  <xsl:copy-of select="document('boilerplate.xml')/*/*"/>

You can even have a neat template for build.xml if you want:
<project xmlns:t="forrest.template">
   <target name="dist" depends="dist-src">
     <t:depends target="dist"/>
     <copy todir="${dist.src.result.dir}">
       <fileset refid="dist.src"/>
       <t:dist-files/>
     </copy>

and in the xslt use the copy-through, pull the project
specific config file into a variable $proj and use stuff
like
   <xsl:template match="t:dist-files">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="$proj/dist/additional-files"/>
   </xsl:template>
   <xsl:template match="dist/additional-files">
     <fileset dir="{dir}" include="{filepattern}/>
   </xsl:template>
(the t:depends got a bit lengthy, sorry)
Use a namespace for the project specific config if you want
to be sure that there will be no name clashes in the template
matches.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Build targets (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Well, build one remotely, build all.
>> I have already made POI's site build remotely, and there are the tasks
>> for it already in the build.
>>
>> Steven knows it, and I assume he will use those to make it work for
>> Cocoon.
>

> Yep, the idea is to generate Ant build.xml snippets using XSLT starting
> from the forrest.xconf file and then include those using XML entities,
> the Ant or your new Import Task in the main build environment. I'm
> biased towards the Ant 'Ant' Task right now, since I assume it is
> working already and offers some isolation between the different projects
> being build by Forrest. But I would be happy to switch to another
> approach if someone suggests me to do so.

Templating.
Download Centipede beta2 and look in antipede.xtarget at how we download
the cents.

But that's a second step, it's easy.

What we need to do know is to tweak the poi site creation targets to
work with Cocoon.
Then I'll do the rest, I've already done it's really easy.

It's testing the process for the first projects that takes time, that's
what needs testing.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Build targets (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Well, build one remotely, build all.
> I have already made POI's site build remotely, and there are the tasks
> for it already in the build.
>
> Steven knows it, and I assume he will use those to make it work for Cocoon.

Yep, the idea is to generate Ant build.xml snippets using XSLT starting
from the forrest.xconf file and then include those using XML entities,
the Ant or your new Import Task in the main build environment. I'm
biased towards the Ant 'Ant' Task right now, since I assume it is
working already and offers some isolation between the different projects
being build by Forrest. But I would be happy to switch to another
approach if someone suggests me to do so.

</Steven>

Re: Build targets (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Diana Shannon wrote:
> Next, the build process.
>
> <diana>
> 2. Build targets need to be added to address all of Cocoon's current
> builds.
> </diana>
>
> <steven>
> well... I have been planning (and postponing) to clean up the current
> forrest build environment and *finally* support remote project building
> - unfortunately, I will not be able to work on this before next week.
>
> Given that, there shouldn't be any adaptation necessary anymore.
> </steven>
>
> <david>
> A while ago Ken said that he would attend to upgrading
> Forrest's Centipede (which includes the Ant 1.5) to enable
> the use of the scratchpad 'transform-v11' targets.
> So be careful of effort overlap.
> </david>
>
> <steven>
> The more I am looking at the current build system, the more I get the
> feeling it is too much for what we are currently doing. I'd be happy if
> Nicola patches it, even adding that new 'import' tag he is currently
> advocating, but I want to move forward. I'm not so sure whether his and
> my plans would conflict, but I'll keep everyone informed so that we can
> minimize that risk.
> </steven>
>
> Clarification needed: What is the scope of "remote project building"? Is
> it correct to assume:
>
> 1. Forrest's only concern is building Cocoon's web site, and it does
> that remotely.

Well, build one remotely, build all.
I have already made POI's site build remotely, and there are the tasks
for it already in the build.

Steven knows it, and I assume he will use those to make it work for Cocoon.

> 2. Cocoon continues with its own build environment (with some minor
> modifications) to produce *all* other doc-related (e.g. user docs in the
> distro) and other targets. In other words, Cocoon continues using just
> Ant, not Centipede, at least for now.

Well, Centipede is Ant++.
Currently Forrest is not using Centipede "plugins", so what you say it's
true.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -