Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Erik Andersson <ki...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/28 11:09:26 UTC

How do I diff a large svn:externals file

Hi

I have a svn:externals where I point to different versions of my
components. It's like 30 components, and I would like to be able to
diff the changes I make in the svn:externals before I commit when I'm
updating a component. Is there some way to present a better diff then
the svn:externals content after each other, it makes it really hard to
read.

Cheers / Erik

Re: UNS: Re: How do I diff a large svn:externals file

Posted by Andreas Krey <a....@gmx.de>.
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:55:38 +0000, Stephen Butler wrote:
> Or are you talking about something else?  If so, make up a sample of
> the hard-to-read diff.

svn (up to 1.6.x) has the annoying habit of not doing property diffs
line-by-line but instead showing the whole externals block as changed.

1.7 changed that.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800

Re: How do I diff a large svn:externals file

Posted by Stephen Butler <sb...@elego.de>.
On Feb 28, 2012, at 11:09 , Erik Andersson wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a svn:externals where I point to different versions of my
> components. It's like 30 components, and I would like to be able to
> diff the changes I make in the svn:externals before I commit when I'm
> updating a component. Is there some way to present a better diff then
> the svn:externals content after each other, it makes it really hard to
> read.

Do you keep the svn:externals lines in a fixed order?  It's pretty easy to
write a script that orders the list by URL or by local path.  You can use a
similar script as a pre-commit hook, to enforce the externals-ordering on
the server side.  Then you'll get shorter diffs.

Or are you talking about something else?  If so, make up a sample of
the hard-to-read diff.

Regards,
Steve