Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steven Bower <sm...@alcyon.net> on 2013/05/09 07:42:13 UTC

Per Shard Replication Factor

Is it currently possible to have per-shard replication factor?

A bit of background on the use case...

If you are hashing content to shards by a known factor (lets say date
ranges, 12 shards, 1 per month) it might be the case that most of your
search traffic would be directed to one particular shard (eg. the current
month shard) and having increased query capacity in that shard would be
useful... this could be extended to many use cases such as data hashed by
organization, type, etc.

Thanks,

steve

Re: Per Shard Replication Factor

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
There's an issue already:

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree this would be a nice feature. Steven can update this thread with
> ticket? Thanks Joel
>

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Steven Bower <sb...@alcyon.net> wrote:
>
> > This approach would work to satisfy the requirement but I think would
> > generally be nice to have the ability to control this within a single
> > collection (so you don't give up any functionality when querying between
> > the collections and to make the management of the system easier).
> >
> > Anyway I'll create a ticket and take a look at how this might work..
> >
> > steve
> >

> > On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <
> > otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Could these just be different collections? Then sharding and
> replication
> > is
> > > independent.  And you can reduce replication factor as the index ages.
> > >
> > > Otis
> > > Solr & ElasticSearch Support
> > > http://sematext.com/

> your