Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> on 2018/07/30 11:01:00 UTC

Urgent: Verification of final 9.0 Update Center

Hi team,

    as you might already know after incredible 22 months of heroic
effort of hundreds of people the final build of Apache NetBeans IDE 9.0
has been released yesterday!

https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb90/nb90.html

    We believe that vast majority of download mirrors are already
up-to-date by now and serve the binaries reliably, however it would be
great to know that for sure and this is where you NetCAT folks play a
unique role. If you don't mind, could you please help verify that
quickly for us?

Here are the steps:

1. Download the 9.0 IDE and launch it.
2. Go to "Tools > Plugins" and switch to "Installed" tab.
3. Check for example "Docker UI" plugin, click "Uninstall" button twice
and then "Finish" to restart the IDE.
4. Go to "Tools > Plugins" again and navigate to "Available" tab.
5. Check "Docker UI" plugin, click "Install" and "Next" buttons.
6. Accept the license, click "Install" again, then "Continue" and
finally "Finish" button.

After this procedure you should have the Docker UI plugin back in the
IDE. If you spot something unusual, let us please know including the
country you tried it from.

Thank you very much for your final test during NetCAT 9.0 program! :)

Have a nice day,
-Jirka

Re: Urgent: Verification of final 9.0 Update Center

Posted by Thilina Ranathunga <r....@gmail.com>.
Hello Jiri,

Country: Sri Lanka
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64

  Product Version         = Apache NetBeans IDE 9.0 (Build
incubator-netbeans-release-334-on-20180708)
  Operating System        = Linux version 4.15.0-29-generic running on amd64
  Java; VM; Vendor        = 1.8.0_181; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
25.181-b13; Oracle Corporation
  Runtime                 = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_181-b13
  Java Home               = /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre

Binary successfully downloaded in less than a minute from following
suggested mirror.
http://www-eu.apache.org/dist/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans-java/incubating-9.0/incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-bin.zip

On the first launch, asked to install nb-javac as usual and failed with
"java.net.UnknownHostException" on the console, Hitting the "Try Again" for
the 4th time succeed.
INFO [org.netbeans.modules.autoupdate.updateprovider.DownloadListener]:
Reading URL
https://netbeans.apache.org/nb/updates/9.0/updates.xml.gz?unique=08fb2c677-55bc-47e8-8af2-e7eea56d6b8f_5732ebd0-006c-47d0-ba6f-e6b6ce6c9876
failed (java.net.UnknownHostException: netbeans.apache.org)

Then, removing and reinstalling "Docker UI" plugin succeded with no
problem. did it multiple times to make sure and worked well in all
attempts.

requests to
https://netbeans.apache.org/nb/updates/9.0/updates.xml.gz
from Sri Lanka redirects to
http://www-eu.apache.org/dist/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans-java/incubating-9.0/nbms/updates.xml.gz
and works fine

*Kind regards, *
*Thilina Ranathunga.*

Posted by Boris Heithecker <bo...@gmx.net>.
Tried it, no problems encountered.
Boris

> Hi team,
>
>    as you might already know after incredible 22 months of heroic effort of
> hundreds of people the final build of Apache NetBeans IDE 9.0 has been
> released yesterday!
>
> https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb90/nb90.html
>
>    We believe that vast majority of download mirrors are already up-to-date
> by now and serve the binaries reliably, however it would be great to know
> that for sure and this is where you NetCAT folks play a unique role. If you
> don't mind, could you please help verify that quickly for us?
>
> Here are the steps:
>
> 1. Download the 9.0 IDE and launch it.
> 2. Go to "Tools > Plugins" and switch to "Installed" tab.
> 3. Check for example "Docker UI" plugin, click "Uninstall" button twice and
> then "Finish" to restart the IDE.
> 4. Go to "Tools > Plugins" again and navigate to "Available" tab.
> 5. Check "Docker UI" plugin, click "Install" and "Next" buttons.
> 6. Accept the license, click "Install" again, then "Continue" and finally
> "Finish" button.
>
> After this procedure you should have the Docker UI plugin back in the IDE.
> If you spot something unusual, let us please know including the country you
> tried it from.
>
> Thank you very much for your final test during NetCAT 9.0 program! :)
>
> Have a nice day,
> -Jirka

Boris Heithecker

Dr. Boris Heithecker
Lüneburger Str. 30
28870 Ottersberg
Tel.: 0 42 05/ 31 58 34

Re: Urgent: Verification of final 9.0 Update Center

Posted by Luca Mambretti <lu...@bizeta.net>.
Tried that now from Italy and it mostly works, I've had some networking problem alerts coming up but after a retry or two the update completed.

I guess some mirrors are way slower than others and when they get picked up this kind of problem might arise.

Regards,
Luca.
On 07/30/2018 06:01 AM, Jiří Kovalský wrote:
>    as you might already know after incredible 22 months of heroic effort
> of hundreds of people the final build of Apache NetBeans IDE 9.0 has
> been released yesterday!

I am so proud!

>    We believe that vast majority of download mirrors are already
> up-to-date by now and serve the binaries reliably, however it would be
> great to know that for sure and this is where you NetCAT folks play a
> unique role. If you don't mind, could you please help verify that
> quickly for us?
>
> Here are the steps:

Works correctly here (Milwaukee, USA).

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Urgent: Verification of final 9.0 Update Center

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 07/30/2018 06:01 AM, Jiří Kovalský wrote:
>    as you might already know after incredible 22 months of heroic effort
> of hundreds of people the final build of Apache NetBeans IDE 9.0 has
> been released yesterday!

I am so proud!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Yes these features are available:
https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/what-s-happened-to-my

Gj

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Thank you Alied!

The fact that 9.0 version does not feature Java EE modules is as
designed but it is being donated and will be part of 9.1 version in
November. Right now the workaround is to register 8.2 _NetBeans
Distribution Update Center_ URL
(http://updates.netbeans.org/netbeans/updates/8.2/uc/final/distribution/catalog.xml.gz),
switch to *Available Plugins* tab and download the required plugins from
there.

Hope this helps,
-Jirka

Posted by Alied Pérez Martínez <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to install Netbeans IDE 9.0 on Ubuntu

Posted by Paloris_j <pa...@gmail.com>.
I am running fedora. But one of the things that I do is to create a new
user. Then run the user from a terminal and start netbeans from there

su username

cd where/netbeans/is/installer/

./netbeans

this stops any conflicts with a the configeration files that you might
have in your system

Posted by Ulf Zibis <Ul...@CoSoCo.de>.
Hi,

much thanks for your hints.

The problem was, that I extracted the zip to a NTFS volume, where file
mods fail:
/media/Sicherung/Software/

Now I see, that netbeans/bin/netbeans doesn't install NB, but just runs
it (in contrast to this guide
<https://netbeans.org/community/releases/82/install.html#install_zip>).

I'm really missing a installer, which installs in /opt and e.g. also
installs destop links, as it was provided before Apache times, at least
a detailed installation guide should be provided.

Thanks

-Ulf

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Bahle <in...@funfried.de>.
Hi Ulf,

for Linux you should always download the tar.gz because zip cannot store the file mods, therefore you will have to do
cd /media/Sicherung/Software/Ab_08.05.2012/SW-Entwicklung/NetBeans/netbeans/bin/
chmod u+x netbeans

So you can actually execute the binary of NetBeans.

Regards,
Fabian

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi Ulf,
I have downloaded and run nb on unbutu 16.04 without any problems. Maybe any problems
with unzip or the underlaying file system?
best regards
Oliver

Posted by Ulf Zibis <Ul...@CoSoCo.de>.
Hi dear people,