Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2015/01/13 03:01:23 UTC

The use of CDDL dependencies

All,

I wanted to bring up the topic of the use of CDDL based dependencies within
Usergrid.

If I look at the dependency list, I see that there are a lot of Apache
licensed dependencies and most of which come from ASF.  There are two major
frameworks that caused an issue recently - Grizzly and Jersey.  These two
are CDDL 1.1 compatible licensed, which fall under Category B from an
Apache standpoint.

There are a couple of issues I see with them.

- There are Apache compatible licensed equivalents out there that do the
same thing.
- Using CDDL licensed libraries cause an issue with derived works on
projects, which I don't think we've fully listed out (not an issue yet,
since we haven't created a binary release).
- One of the goals in incubation is to build synergy between projects, and
the more of other projects we use the more synergy we have with others.

I guess my first question/proposal is instead of Grizzly, any chance we can
use Tomcat embedded to do the same thing?  This seems to mostly affect the
launcher component that needs an embedded container; and the standalone
component for the same thing.

The next part is whether or not we need Jersey or can leverage something
else.  My first thought is JBoss Resteasy, which has a test framework that
can be leveraged similar to what was just built against Jersey.  I also
thought about CXF, it is a possible solution however it seemed like its
test tools weren't as good.

As you have likely seen from this last 1.0.1 release, using Cat B/Cat X
type dependencies can lead to problems creating releases, which I'm sure
all of us want to be much smoother.

John

Re: The use of CDDL dependencies

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com>.
I agreed with Ed.  We're in process of replacing Grizzly with Tomcat for
our tests and for the standalone in 2.0. However Jersey is a major
component of our stack.  We're going to be upgrading it to the latest
version sometime in the next couple of months, so we'll take that time to
look at other options.

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.