Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com> on 2014/07/19 10:02:28 UTC

Rename tapestry-ioc to hivemind

I asked this question before I was a committer and generally got good
feedback but it never really went anywhere.

I think having tapestry-ioc and tapestry (the web framework) is a bit
confusing. I also feel that it hinders the promotion / adoption of
tapestry-ioc as a standalone product.

So, I have some questions to consider.
1. Do you agree that tapestry-ioc should be renamed?
2. Do you think it should be called hivemind?
3. Do you have an alternative name?
4. Should a rename be done as part of 5.4 or 5.5?

If the feedback to this thread forms a general consensus, I'll put it to a
proper vote.

Lance.

Re: Rename tapestry-ioc to hivemind

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
Now with structured answers, leaving the explanations for that other
answer I've posted:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 05:02:28 -0300, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> So, I have some questions to consider.
> 1. Do you agree that tapestry-ioc should be renamed?

No, as renames creates confusions by themselves. There's a lot of content
on the Web, specially posts in mailing lists and blogs, referring to it as
Tapestry-IoC and newcomers would overlook it.

> 2. Do you think it should be called hivemind?

No, to avoid confusion with the old Hivemind, which is very different from
Tapestry-IoC.

> 3. Do you have an alternative name?

If the team decides to rename it, I'd suggest Collective, to keep the
Hivemind theme without reusing the name.

> 4. Should a rename be done as part of 5.4 or 5.5?

No.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Rename tapestry-ioc to hivemind

Posted by Dimitris Zenios <di...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of renaming the project.Maybe Hivemind 2 since the original
 hivemind is retired as specified by its website.

In the end though if we want greater adoption it should separate its self
from the tapestry build / release

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dimitris Zenios <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
As discussed, I'm not suggesting to move the project outside of the
tapestry build / release. I'm also not tied to the hivemind name.

I constantly find myself saying tapestry (the web framework) and
tapestry-ioc on the user's list. A rename would help remove this ambiguity.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
Ok, I'll have to admit defeat and let the ambiguity continue...

;)

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:46:00 -0300, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  How's about tapioca as a name suggestion? It has references to tapestry
>> and ioc. :)
>>

> That's making me hungry and it's not lunch time here yet! :D
>
> A quick Google search for "tapioca framework" shows a number of existing
> stuff with that name, though, even a Java IoC framework:
> http://code.google.com/p/tapioca/.
>

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> http://machina.com.br