Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> on 2010/04/02 00:19:52 UTC

Re: Newb: curl, javascript, jQuery.ajax, bad-browsers, rest-client rubygem?

On Apr 1, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Audrey Lee wrote:

> Dear couchDB List,
>
> I am a couchDB beginner.
>
> I installed this couchDB version on my Mac:
>  - 0.10
>
> Today I finished a quick study of the futon-UI.
>
> Now I like futon.
>
> After futon I made the next step up which perhaps might be curl.

<snip>

> So, here are my questions:
>
> 1. Are any of you using JavaScript to send requests to couchDB?
>
> 2. Have you bumped into issues with "bad-browsers"?
>
> 3. Are any of you using jQuery.ajax to send requests to couchDB?
>
> 4. If yes, do you like jQuery.ajax?

Futon ships with a jQuery based CouchDB client. I've never found a browser it doesn't work in. (Anywhere Futon works, the library should work.)

The library is located at:

http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/jquery.couch.js

I use it for all my CouchDB applications. Here's an example CouchApp:

http://jchrisa.net/toast/_design/toast/channel.html#async

If you view source on this you should start to see how it is put together. (It's actually old and crufty compared to the code I'm writing now -- my new code requires CouchDB 0.11 and I haven't upgraded my server yet.)

Here's some of the new code:

http://github.com/jchris/taskr/

And some screencasts describing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbfRZz6qNY

and

http://vimeo.com/9847214

There is also some writing in the CouchDB book about building Ajax apps on CouchDB:

http://books.couchdb.org/relax/example-app/standalone-applications

Enjoy and let us know when you have more questions!

Chris