Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Iain Mac Donald <ia...@freeuk.com> on 2006/06/29 20:55:07 UTC

ssl setup with tomcat

I am trying to setup a ssl certificate with Ofbiz using Tomcat. I have
been using the "Basic Ofbiz Production Setup" as a guide. I have just
inserted my signed cert (PKCS#7 format) into the keystore and was about
to edit the ofbiz-containers.xml file with the relevant path and
password.

However, I have just noticed that the whole http & https-connector
sections are missing from ofbiz-containers.xml.

How should I proceed?

As I am quite new to Ofbiz I am a little concerned about doing something
wrong with a crucial part of the system.

The guide was for revision 4558 and I am using 5274.
Iain.

RE: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Vinay Agarwal <Vi...@hotmail.com>.
Iain,

If you haven't looked at this, it may be a good place to start.
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Mod_jk_config

BTW, your OFBiz version is too old, not sure if that will work. I suggest
the latest from SVN.

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Iain,

This version should certainly have a lot of functional code and will
probably be stable enough, but you are a long way out of date, an update
would be a really good idea.

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Iain Mac Donald <ia...@freeuk.com>.
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 14:57 -0700, BJ Freeman wrote:
> that is where they are in the current versions.
> int the 3.0 version it was
> jetty-container
> after 3.2, i believe it is catalina-container

Well it looks to me like there is both jetty and tomcat and the docs I
have read seem to suggest that is the case too. Everything else is
working perfectly just the certificate bit is missing.

I am using the ofbiz embedded tomcat rather than the one that comes with
my distribution.

> you can do you have a components folder or application and framework?

I don't understand what you mean here?

Iain.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
that is where they are in the current versions.
int the 3.0 version it was
jetty-container
after 3.2, i believe it is catalina-container

you can do you have a components folder or application and framework?

Iain Mac Donald sent the following on 6/29/2006 2:35 PM:

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
This is also a good opportunity to stress the importance of keeping
modifications outside the OFBiz codebase. Of course there will always be a
handful of files that need to be updated with configuration changes and such,
but for the most part you should try to put modifications in a separate component.

Example: we created our own component called OFBizEx and put all of our
modifications in there.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Iain Mac Donald <ia...@freeuk.com>.
On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 10:00 +0100, Ray Barlow wrote:

> If you have Apache 1.3 with mod_jk configured I would use Apache to
> control http and https with the SSL certificate and disable the http and
> https hosting configurations from OFBiz and just set it to host and
> accept ajp13 connections with mod_jk. You can then also let Apache host
> the static image content which it is supposed to be pretty good at doing.

Currently I have a hybrid setup. I have Apache serving a whole lot of
static content outside of Ofbiz. Ofbiz is then used mostly for
the /ecommerce stuff. It is my intention to run multiple instances of
Ofbiz for different domains. This would be controlled using different
IP/port number combinations.

I have read elsewhere, in agreement with what you are saying, that
getting Apache to deal with the ssl stuff provides better performance.
However, previously I didn't have opportunity to test this.

If I were to move over to using Apache, as you suggest, can I use the
description here...
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Mod_jk_config
or is that Apache 2.0 specific.

Of course that would also mean having to get my signed certs converted
from PKCS#7 format (and I can't remember if I can do that with openssl)
Iain.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Ray Barlow <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.
I used to use Apache 1.3 with mod_jk linked up to OFBiz. In fact as long
as you have mod_jk installed and configured for Apache then the
destination web application server does not really care or know if it is
Apache 1.3 or 2 routing the requests.

If you have Apache 1.3 with mod_jk configured I would use Apache to
control http and https with the SSL certificate and disable the http and
https hosting configurations from OFBiz and just set it to host and
accept ajp13 connections with mod_jk. You can then also let Apache host
the static image content which it is supposed to be pretty good at doing.

Ray

RE: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Iain Mac Donald <ia...@freeuk.com>.

RE: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Iain Mac Donald <ia...@freeuk.com>.
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 12:09 -0700, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> If you haven't looked at this, it may be a good place to start.
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Mod_jk_config

Thanks. I had seen this before plus some other guides in the wiki. I had
discounted this method as I am using apache 1.3 and wasn't using the
mod_jk method.

Are you saying that the method described in the PDF guide won't work? I
was hoping that it might just be a case of inserting the relevant
sections and I would be finished.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by Iain Mac Donald <ia...@freeuk.com>.

Re: ssl setup with tomcat

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
what version are you using?

Iain Mac Donald sent the following on 6/29/2006 11:55 AM: