Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/09/23 22:18:15 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.1 RC1

Here’s my +1 to conclude the vote.

With 5 binding +1s (Xuan, Jian, Junping, Karthik, myself), 8 non-binding +1s (Wangda, Sanjin, Rohith, Brahma, Mit, Akira, Tsuyoshi, Masatake ), 4 non-committal yes’s (Ted, Eric, Chang, Kuhu), this vote passes.

I’ll push out the bits.

Thanks to everyone who voted on this release!

Thanks
+Vinod

On Sep 16, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>> wrote:

Hi all,

After a nearly month long [1] toil, with loads of help from Sangjin Lee and Akira Ajisaka, and 153 (RC0)+7(RC1) commits later, I've created a release candidate RC1 for hadoop-2.6.1.

RC1 is RC0 [0] (for which I opened and closed a vote last week) + UI fixes for the issue Sangjin raised (YARN-3171 and the dependencies YARN-3779, YARN-3248), additional fix to avoid incompatibility (YARN-3740), other UI bugs (YARN-1884, YARN-3544) and the MiniYARNCluster issue (right patch for YARN-2890) that Jeff Zhang raised.

The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.6.1-RC1/

The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.1-RC1

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org<http://repository.apache.org/> at https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1021

Some notes from our release process
 -  - Sangjin and I moved out a bunch of items pending from 2.6.1 [2] - non-committed but desired patches. 2.6.1 is already big as is and is late by any standard, we can definitely include them in the next release.
 - The 2.6.1 wiki page [3] captures some (but not all) of the context of the patches that we pushed in.
 - Given the number of fixes pushed [4] in, we had to make a bunch of changes to our original plan - we added a few improvements that helped us backport patches easier (or in many cases made backports possible), and we dropped a few that didn't make sense (HDFS-7831, HDFS-7926, HDFS-7676, HDFS-7611, HDFS-7843, HDFS-8850).
 - I ran all the unit tests which (surprisingly?) passed. (Except for one, which pointed out a missing fix HDFS-7552).

As discussed before [5]
 - This release is the first point release after 2.6.0
 - I’d like to use this as a starting release for 2.6.2 in a few weeks and then follow up with more of these.

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 5 days.

Thanks,
Vinod

[0] Hadoop 2.6.1 RC0 vote: http://markmail.org/thread/ubut2rn3lodc55iy
[1] Hadoop 2.6.1 Release process thread: http://markmail.org/thread/wkbgkxkhntx5tlux
[2] 2.6.1 Pending tickets: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331711
[3] 2.6.1 Wiki page: https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Release-2.6.1-Working-Notes
[4] List of 2.6.1 patches pushed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%202.6.1%20and%20labels%20%3D%20%222.6.1-candidate%22
[5] Planning Hadoop 2.6.1 release: http://markmail.org/thread/sbykjn5xgnksh6wg

PS:
 - Note that branch-2.6 which will be the base for 2.6.2 doesn't have these fixes yet. Once 2.6.1 goes through, I plan to rebase branch-2.6 based off 2.6.1.
 - The additional patches in RC1 that got into 2.6.1 all the way from 2.8 are NOT in 2.7.2 yet, this will be done as a followup.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.1 RC1

Posted by Vinod Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
The website and mirrors updates came back. Sending out an announcement now.

Thanks
+Vinod

On Sep 23, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Done with all the release activities. Waiting for the bits to propagate to all the mirrors.

Thanks
+Vinod