Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2020/04/05 15:42:21 UTC

Can Ligatures in fonts be turned off in Windows

Not long ago I wrote about the JetBrains Mono font. I liked it but it had ligatures I could not turn off in NB on Windows. To the rescue came Andrew Podkovyrin who forked a non-ligature version at https://github.com/podkovyrin/JetBrainsMono/tree/feature/no-ligatures-1-0-3/no-ligatures. When I first discovered the font I learned, possibly incorrectly, that it's the editor responsibility for disabling ligatures. It could also be a switch in Java. I have my solution in the forked font but I was curious, any suggestions?

[cid:image002.jpg@01D60B3E.AE654A80]
Ken Fogel
Faculty
email: kfogel@dawsoncollege.qc.ca<ma...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>
phone: (514) 931-8731 local 4799
Dawson College, 3040 Sherbrooke St. W Westmount, Quebec, H3Z 1A4, Canada
[facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/ken.fogel> [twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/omniprof>  [youtube icon] <https://www.youtube.com/kenfogel>  [linkedin icon] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kenfogel/>  [instagram icon] <https://www.instagram.com/omniprof/>
[cid:16cd4bdce7eaf8d708]<https://www.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/>           [cid:image013.jpg@01D60B3F.43C22350]             [cid:image014.png@01D60B3F.43C22350]

Re: Can Ligatures in fonts be turned off in Windows

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ken,
Font ligatures in Java Swing are enabled with a text attribute:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/awt/font/TextAttribute.html

It should be certainly possible to selectively enable/disable it.
Unfortunately I have searched NB source code for LIGATURES but found
nothing relevant.

Someone more accustomed with the code of NB editor infrastructure could
tell where to intervene.

Regards,
Alex