Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/19 07:58:48 UTC

Sample code license [WAS: Re: NetBeans has landed in Apache Git]

> As a side note, some files in the repository (typically samples) are using 3-clause (if I get that correctly) BSD license

Last time this was a talking point you couldn't tweak the installer
without changing the source code that was under the standard CDDL +
GPL w/ CPE license. So each custom installer was a derivative work.

Using BSD for samples and such was a very good change.

I'm not really sure if Apache is OK with BSD samples.

Then again, not sure if the Apache license would be a blocking point
anymore as it's much more commercial friendly.

--emi

Re: Sample code license [WAS: Re: NetBeans has landed in Apache Git]

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks, it was a small fun clean up task.

Gj

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
If in NetBeans IDE the user does New/Java Class, then (I think) this
template will be instantiated:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-netbeans.git;a=blob;f=java.project.ui/src/org/netbeans/modules/java/project/ui/resources/Class.java.template;h=e9890cf1ebbfa872259a65b4259e10fd05053a79;hb=HEAD

So, there may be two separate questions:
a) what is the license of the template (for which I don't personally see a
problem be the Apache License)
b) what is the license of the file created from the template (where I
suspect it would be a problem if the license would had to be the Apache
license, regardless of the target project)

Of course, this is not the only template NB has, and not the only way to
generate code for the user in the IDE. But the main question to me is what
is the license of the code the IDE generates for the user.

Jan

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Neil C Smith
<ne...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...Take
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/apisupport.wizards/src/org/netbeans/modules/apisupport/project/ui/wizard/wizard/instantiatingIterator.javx

Ok - IIUC that's a template that NetBeans uses at runtime to generate Java code?

> ...This didn't used to have a license header at all prior to the donation I
> believe?...

If that file is going to be included in the NetBeans release, it needs
a license header indeed.

> ...I assume from the way that
> the license has been added to the template it's effectively a comment, and
> so the output of the template process is still a file with no license,
> which is as it should be in my opinion...

If the template process is run by a NetBeans user then I agree, the
generated file doesn't need a license header. I suppose such generated
files are mostly boilerplate anyway and do not contain rocket science
algorithms that might need to be appropriately licensed.

> ...I'm wondering at what point, if at
> all, the code generated by a template in this way becomes determined as
> needing to carry the Apache license?...

It's only files which are included in the NetBeans release which need
an Apache license header.

Does this clarify things?

-Bertrand

Re: Sample code license [WAS: Re: NetBeans has landed in Apache Git]

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:26 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Neil C Smith
> <ne...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > ...I assume we wouldn't want the output of
> > them to be under any kind of license?...
>
> As a podling, NetBeans releases are approved by the Incubator PMC, and
> I doubt they would approve a release containing files with no license.

Not quite what I had in mind, though.  Take

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/apisupport.wizards/src/org/netbeans/modules/apisupport/project/ui/wizard/wizard/instantiatingIterator.javx

This didn't used to have a license header at all prior to the donation I
believe?  So, the file itself has a license, but I assume from the way that
the license has been added to the template it's effectively a comment, and
so the output of the template process is still a file with no license,
which is as it should be in my opinion.  I'm wondering at what point, if at
all, the code generated by a template in this way becomes determined as
needing to carry the Apache license?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: Sample code license [WAS: Re: NetBeans has landed in Apache Git]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ...But it's a bit silly no? Any new project based on an Apache sample
> would have to post a notice about the Apache
> > license and include a copy of the license....
>
> So we do require some consistency to make things easier. The Apache
> License is one of those invariants.
>
> Also, if our sample code turns into the next Google, we want to be
> credited for that - it's the only thing we'd get ;-)

Kind of understand both points of view there, but veering more to Emi's on
this particular point.  My concern would be more about how we handle code
generated by wizards, templates, etc.  The example projects are one end of
the scale there, but there are other project and file templates that
generate quite a lot of code, and I assume we wouldn't want the output of
them to be under any kind of license?!  Just wondering where the line gets
drawn here?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: Sample code license [WAS: Re: NetBeans has landed in Apache Git]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pe 21 sept. 2017, la 09:51, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> a scris:
>> ...Code produced by the ASF must use the Apache License, so that's not an
>> option here...
> ...But it's a bit silly no? Any new project based on an Apache sample would have to post a notice about the Apache
> license and include a copy of the license....

To keep things simple, the ASF is often reluctant to handle special
cases - you probably know that foundation has to oversee about 300
projects on a relatively small budget [1] - currently less than $5K
per project per year.

So we do require some consistency to make things easier. The Apache
License is one of those invariants.

Also, if our sample code turns into the next Google, we want to be
credited for that - it's the only thing we'd get ;-)

-Bertrand

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2017/board_minutes_2017_04_19.txt
- "Approve the 2018 FY ASF Budget"

Re: Sample code license [WAS: Re: NetBeans has landed in Apache Git]

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.