Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Leyzerzon, Simeon" <si...@credit-suisse.com> on 2007/02/17 00:12:06 UTC

javax.faces.FacesException: Faces context not found

Hello,
Could somebody please help me resolving the following runtime exception:
<Feb 15, 2007 6:34:03 PM EST> <Error> <HTTP> <BEA-101020> <[ServletContext(id=14220560,name=GISWeb,context-path=/GISWeb)] Servlet failed with Exception
javax.faces.FacesException: Faces context not found. getResponseWriter will fail. Check if the FacesServlet has been initialized at all in your web.xml configuration fileand if you are accessing your jsf-pages through the correct mapping. E.g.: if your FacesServlet is mapped to *.jsf (with the <servlet-mapping>-element), you need to access your pages as 'sample.jsf'. If you tried to access 'sample.jsp', you'd get this error-message.
at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.setupResponseWriter(UIComponentTag.java:926)
at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.doStartTag(UIComponentTag.java:313)
at org.apache.myfaces.taglib.core.ViewTag.doStartTag(ViewTag.java:73)
at jsp_servlet._jsp._maintenance.__layout._jspService(__layout.java:166)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:33)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:971)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:402)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:446)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:305)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:6354)
at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:317)
at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:118)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3635)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.java:2585)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:197)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:170)

This is on Weblogic 8.1sp2 using the nighlies as of Feb 16.  Here are the jars used in our application:

ajax4jsf-1.0.6RC1.jar
    cglib-nodep-2.1_3.jar
    CLRCommons.jar
    commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
    commons-codec-1.3.jar
    commons-collections-3.2.jar
    commons-digester-1.7.jar
    commons-el-2.0.jar
    commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
    commons-httpclient-2.0.jar
    commons-javaflow-20060411.jar
    commons-lang-2.1.jar
    commons-logging-1.1.jar
    commons-logging-api-1.1.jar
    commons-validator-1.1.4.jar
    dom4j-1.6.1.jar
    hibernate-3.2.0.jar
    itext-1.3.1.jar
    jakarta-oro-2.0.7.jar
    jasperreports-1.3.0.jar
    jaxen-1.1-beta-7.jar
    jdom.jar
    jdt-compiler-3.1.1.jar
    jsp-api.jar
    jstl.jar
    jxl-2.6.jar
    log4j-1.2.13.jar
    myfaces-api-1.1.5-SNAPSHOT.jar
    myfaces-impl-1.1.5-SNAPSHOT.jar
    oscache-2.3.2.jar
    png-encoder-1.5.jar
    poi-2.0-final-20040126.jar
    servlet-api.jar
    spring-2.0-rc4.jar
    standard.jar
    tomahawk-1.1.5-SNAPSHOT.jar
    tomahawk-sandbox-1.1.5-SNAPSHOT.jar

We also have the following setting in weblogic.xml to make weblogic use the jar files from within the application:

<container-descriptor>
		<prefer-web-inf-classes>true</prefer-web-inf-classes>
	</container-descriptor>

Could someone tell me what we are missing or doing incorrectly, please?

Thank you in advance

Simeon

Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Faces context not found

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

My last post needs a correction;

Following is not valid
<navigation-rule>
  <from-view-id>/source.jsf</from-view-id>
  <navigation-case>
   <from-outcome>LocnDetail</from-outcome>
   <to-view-id>/target.jsf</to-view-id>
  </navigation-case>
 </navigation-rule>

It should be
<navigation-rule>
  <from-view-id>/source.jsp</from-view-id>
  <navigation-case>
   <from-outcome>LocnDetail</from-outcome>
   <to-view-id>/target.jsf</to-view-id>
  </navigation-case>
 </navigation-rule>

or this works too
<navigation-rule>
  <from-view-id>/source.jsp</from-view-id>
  <navigation-case>
   <from-outcome>LocnDetail</from-outcome>
   <to-view-id>/target.jsp</to-view-id>
  </navigation-case>
 </navigation-rule>

from-view-id should not include the mapping but to-view-id can.

Çagatay

Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Faces context not found

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There's a problem with your faces servlet mapping. How do you access your
jsf pages and what url mappings do you use?

<navigation-case>
>    <from-outcome>LocnDetail</from-outcome>
>    <to-view-id>/pages/LocnDetail.jsf</to-view-id>
>   </navigation-case>
>   <navigation-case>and in the URL you need to give   /pages/LocnDetail.jsf

This should be /pages/LocnDetail.jsp not /pages/LocnDetail.jsf.

Regards,

Cagatay

Posted by Srinivas V <vu...@gmail.com>.
*Simeon,*