Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/28 18:23:53 UTC

Expanding the scope of jackrabbit-jcr-tests

Hi,

I chatted with Julian today about testing JCR repository, and it seems
like a good idea to share performance and other JCR-level tests just
like we currently share the conformance tests of the JCR TCK.

At the moment the jackrabbit-jcr-tests component contains only the
test cases used by the JCR TCK, but there's no reason why we couldn't
include other types of JCR tests and supporting test machinery there.

The JCR TCK would only use the conformance test suite from
jackrabbit-jcr-tests, but just as well a JCR performance benchmark
could be based on a performance test suite in jackrabbit-jcr-tests.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Expanding the scope of jackrabbit-jcr-tests

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Esteban Franqueiro wrote:
> Hi.
> I agree.
> But maybe we should have a new package for this tests?
> Perhaps org.apache.jackrabbit.test.perf[ormance] or something like that.
> Regards,

Yup,

the latter is the package name I'm proposing for
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1437>.

BR, Julian

Re: Expanding the scope of jackrabbit-jcr-tests

Posted by Esteban Franqueiro <es...@bea.com>.
Hi.
I agree.
But maybe we should have a new package for this tests?
Perhaps org.apache.jackrabbit.test.perf[ormance] or something like that.
Regards,

Esteban Franqueiro
esteban.franqueiro@bea.com

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Re: Expanding the scope of jackrabbit-jcr-tests

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> If we don't want to introduce a new module we can just as well use
> jackrabbit-core, where we already have tests. However I know that Julian
> will not be happy with that because he wants to use the tests without
> introducing a dependency to jackrabbit-core, right?

I'd prefer to have a clear separation between things that are specific
to Jackrabbit, and code that's generic JCR.

BR, Julian

Re: Expanding the scope of jackrabbit-jcr-tests

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Also, I'm a bit concerned about the future of jackrabbit-jcr-tests
> after JCR 2.0 is final. Shall we keep working on the component like we
> do now even if there are no plans for JCR 3.0? Expanding the scope of
> the jcr-tests component would give it a nice purpose also beyond the
> needs of JSR 283.

the current work on jackrabbit-jcr-tests was mainly done in light of an eventual
maintenance release of JSR 170. Unfortunately that did not yet happen.

I think the same will happen once JCR 2.0 is final. We will have bug fixes for
the tests and at some point there will be a maintenance release of the JSR 283 TCK.

If we don't want to introduce a new module we can just as well use
jackrabbit-core, where we already have tests. However I know that Julian will
not be happy with that because he wants to use the tests without introducing a
dependency to jackrabbit-core, right?

regards
  marcel

Re: Expanding the scope of jackrabbit-jcr-tests

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I prefer to keep the number of components down as well.

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,