Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Milamber <mi...@apache.org> on 2012/05/19 19:11:43 UTC

[VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Hello,

The first release candidate for JMeter 2.7 has been prepared, and your
votes are solicited.

This release brings some valuable improvements and fixes some bugs.

If you can, some tests of this release candidate (load tests and/or
functional tests) with Java 5/6/7 on Linux/Windows/Mac OS on changes are
welcome.

New and Noteworthy with some screenshots to illustrate improvements and
list of changes:
http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/docs/changes.html

JMeter is a Java desktop application designed to load test functional
behavior and  measure performance. The current version is targeted at
Java 1.5+.

Archives/hashes/sigs and RAT report:

http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/dist/

MD5 hashes of archives for this vote:

8dab93abe521d5d6f5916880cc060993 *apache-jmeter-2.7.zip
7b74d8ae058521d33341878c6b4c2c8f *apache-jmeter-2.7_src.tgz
c4509ebaa44c60fe1b31f644f070e4ef *apache-jmeter-2.7_src.zip
543a32cd6472c7ac7eb89f99a79c71cb *apache-jmeter-2.7.tgz

Site Docs are here:
http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/docs/

Maven staging repo is accessible here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejmeter-103/org/apache/jmeter/

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/tags/v2_7_RC1 (r1340508)

Keys are here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/dist/
also
http://people.apache.org/~milamber/

N.B.
To download the dependencies: "ant download_jars"

To create the jars and test JMeter: "ant package test".

JMeter 2.7 requires Java 1.5 or later.

Note that there is a bug in Java on some Linux systems that manifests
itself as the following error when running the test cases or JMeter itself:

 [java] WARNING: Couldn't flush user prefs:
 java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException:
 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Not supported: indent-number

This does not affect JMeter operation.

All feedback (and votes!) welcome.

[  ] +1  I support this release
[  ] +0  I am OK with this release
[  ] -0   OK, but....
[  ] -1   I do not support this release (please indicate why)

The vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Note: If the vote passes, the intention is to release the archive files
and rename the RC tag as the release tag.

Thanks in advance!

Milamber

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 May 2012 13:01, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> On 19.05.2012 19:11, Milamber wrote:
>>
>> [ X] +1  I support this release
>>
>> [  ] +0  I am OK with this release
>> [  ] -0   OK, but....
>> [  ] -1   I do not support this release (please indicate why)
>

> +1 for release.
>
> Some minor observations, roughly the same as last time plus some other
> details for the yen sign problem, small new problems for collapse.png and
> expand.png and some "2.6" string in a subversion file which was fixed in the
> distribution file.
>
> Thanks for RM!
>
> Details:
>
> - MD5 OK
> - signatures OK
> - key in KEYS file
> - AFAIK the key is still not in the web of trust. It would be good
>  if we found a way to sign your key.
>  Maybe during ApacheCon EU in November?
> - gz and zip for src and bin consistent apart from:
>  - Files extras/collapse.png and extras/expand.png differ
>    (the ones in the zip are bigger, gz and svn look the same,
>     I guess some unintended conversion happened).
>    Those files are not part of the distribution if I build it myself.
>    Not a blocker, should be fixed before next time.
>  - File printable_docs/usermanual/functions.html again the yen sign
>    in line 3531. File says it is ISO-8859-1 encoded, File in gz
>    looks OK (and like the docs one in svn), file in zip has
>    a multibyte character instead of decimal 165. When I rebuild JMeter
>    myself, the yen sign looks right in both files, so seems the
>    be an issue with build environment or process.

The file in the zip would have been passed through the LF/CRLF
conversion process.
Explains why it is OK in tar.gz and SVN but not Zip.

Build.xml needs to be fixed to prevent that happening.
I'll have a look at that.

>    Not a blocker.
>
> - src consistent with svn tag, except for the following points:
>
>  - File xdocs/overview.html contains "2.6" in svn but "2.7" in distribution
> archives
>
>  Only in svn/extras: collapse.png
>  Only in svn/extras: expand.png
>
>  Already observed for 2.6
>  (and I won't mention them for the next release):
>
>  Only in gz/bin/testfiles: Sample_Chart.png
>  Only in gz/bin/testfiles: Sample_Line_Graph.png
>  Quoting sebb said: Those are test output files; should probably be excluded
> in future. Or they should get created elsewhere.
>
>  Only in svn: doap_JMeter.rdf
>  Quoting sebb: That's normal for many projects.
> Possibly should find somewhere else to keep the doap - it's only
> really useful for the projects.a.o site as it gets updated after the
> release.
>
>  Only in svn: rat-excludes.txt
>  Quoting sebb: That's only used by buildbot.

Again, perhaps that can be stored elsewhere.

> - File permissions in svn and src distribution (OK in bin distribution)
>
>  - extras/proxycert.sh and bin/*.sh files not executable
>    in svn and src distribution
>  - bin/jmeter, bin/jmeter-server and xdocs/download_jmeter.cgi
>    files not executable in src distribution (but they are in svn)

Files should probably not be executable in SVN, but should be in the tar.gz.
Zip does not support the setting.

ApacheCon 2012 Was: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi Philippe,

On 21.05.2012 21:48, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> Hello,
> Rainer, in which German Town will ApacheCon occur ?

Sinsheim, close to Heidelberg / Mannheim.

As Milamber wrote some info is at: http://www.apachecon.com/

Map:

http://maps.google.de/maps?q=Rhein-Neckar+Arena,+Sinsheim&hl=de&sll=50.72764,7.0752&sspn=0.036891,0.090895&oq=sinsheim+arena&t=h&hq=Rhein-Neckar+Arena,+Sinsheim&z=15

> Milamber, I live in North of France near Lille (Chti :-) ) (Wilkommen bei
> den Chti's for Rainer :-) ),

Less than 4 hours to where I live (close to Cologne)

> rarely going to Paris but could be an occasion
> but not for signing Key as I don't know the process, Rainer what is it
> exactly ?

It is simple. You prepare your key in advance and keep it in a well
secured place. You bring your key fingerprint with you. The key itself
should not be moved to an insecure environment.

Then during the conference there's a key signing party where

- everoyne gets a list of the key fingerprints of the keys to sign and
the names of the owners

- all key owners are asked, whether their key fingerprint is ok

- the other people check your identity and later will sign your key.

The event itself will be announced during the conference as "key
signing" and then you can send an email containing your key fingerprint
to the organizer of the key signing, who compiles a list of them and
print hard copies for the event.

For reference:

http://www.apache.org/dev/openpgp.html

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Le 21/05/2012 20:48, Philippe Mouawad a ecrit :
> Hello,
> Rainer, in which German Town will ApacheCon occur ?
> Milamber, I live in North of France near Lille (Chti :-) )

I always thinking you live in Paris... (I don't know why...)
Perhaps the good solution is to meet you in next ApacheCon EU (near
Strasbourg, in Germany)
http://www.apachecon.com

Milamber

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Sorry for the noise, my last mail was meant to be sent to Milamber direct.

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi Milamber,

> NB. I'm living in Morocco

That gives me nostalgic feelings. I went to Morocco when I was 19 and I
really liked what I saw (no, this is not about drugs). It was nearly 30
years ago and sure a lot will have changed. Do you live in one of the
well-known towns (Casablanca, Marrakesh, Tanger, Rabat, Fes, ...)?

It would be really cool if you could make it to the EU conference,
although this year it is located in a small German town, so it is more
about people than the location. There is a travel assistance committee
(TAC) at ASF which can help funding your travel, although they might
want some help for the conference in exchange.

Finally: congratulations to what happened in north africa the last 2
years. I know Maroc is somewhat different, but I went to egypt last year
in April and was very impressed by the people and the athmosphere there.

Have a nice week!

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Le 20/05/2012 13:01, Rainer Jung a ecrit :
> On 19.05.2012 19:11, Milamber wrote:
>> [ X] +1  I support this release
>> [  ] +0  I am OK with this release
>> [  ] -0   OK, but....
>> [  ] -1   I do not support this release (please indicate why)
>
> +1 for release.
>
> Some minor observations, roughly the same as last time plus some other
> details for the yen sign problem, small new problems for collapse.png
> and expand.png and some "2.6" string in a subversion file which was
> fixed in the distribution file.
>
> Thanks for RM!

And thanks for your review!

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 May 2012 19:19, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok for me

Yes, OK for me too.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Ok for me

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 20/05/2012 12:10, sebb a ecrit :
> > On 19 May 2012 18:11, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The first release candidate for JMeter 2.7 has been prepared, and your
> >> votes are solicited.
> >>
> >> This release brings some valuable improvements and fixes some bugs.
> >>
> >> If you can, some tests of this release candidate (load tests and/or
> >> functional tests) with Java 5/6/7 on Linux/Windows/Mac OS on changes are
> >> welcome.
> >>
> >> New and Noteworthy with some screenshots to illustrate improvements and
> >> list of changes:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/docs/changes.html
> >>
> >> JMeter is a Java desktop application designed to load test functional
> >> behavior and  measure performance. The current version is targeted at
> >> Java 1.5+.
> >>
> >> Archives/hashes/sigs and RAT report:
> >>
> >> http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/dist/
> >>
> > Unfortunately there are some packaging errors.
> >
> > The contents of the source zip file should exactly match the contents
> > of the tag when checked out on Windows (EOL=CRLF), likewise for the
> > tar and tag on Unix (EOL=LF)
> >
> > However that is not the case for me on Windows.
> >
> > The collapse.png and expand.png files in the extras directory are
> > corrupt in the zip archive.
> > This is likely because they are are not being treated as binary.
> >
> > I can fix that in build.xml
> >

> Ok now, since your commit r1340673.
> > Also, the file xdocs/overview.html is different in the tag (2.6) and
> > the source archive (2.7)
> > Dunno how that happened.
> >

> Ok if I make a ant distribution before svn commit. (changes order in
> Wiki ReleaseCreation)
>
> > There are some EOL differences between the tag and the ZIP archive:
> >
> > bin/testfiles
> > Bug50898.xml
> >

> Not ok (viewing in notepad.exe don't care return line/carriage return)
>
> > HTMLParserTestFile_2.xml
> >

> Ok for me in a Win Seven (I can viewing the file with notepad.exe)
> > This could either be incorrect EOL SVN settings on the files, or
> > incorrect processing in the build file or both.
> >
> > I can hopefully fix that in build.xml/SVN
> >
> > The source archives contain some test output files in bin/testfiles:
> > Sample_chart.png
> > Sample_Jine_Graph.png
> >
> > These should not be there.
> > Not sure exactly why those were included in the source.
> >

> I've change the directory to a temp directory. Build ok on my
> Debian/Linux. Please can you test on a Windows (or Mac for Philippe).
>
> Test OK on Mac Os X:
ls -ltr /var/folders/Qw/QwuxzWLtF54KoRu5AqFjXk+++TI/-Tmp-/

-rw-r--r--  1 philippemouawad  staff       0 22 mai 22:20
Sample_Chart7250782063027086322.tmp
-rw-r--r--  1 philippemouawad  staff    5240 22 mai 22:20
Sample_Chart7250782063027086322.tmp.png
-rw-r--r--  1 philippemouawad  staff    8956 22 mai 22:20
Sample_Line_Graph3920356778481722557.tmp.png

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 2.7 RC1

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Le 20/05/2012 12:10, sebb a ecrit :
> On 19 May 2012 18:11, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The first release candidate for JMeter 2.7 has been prepared, and your
>> votes are solicited.
>>
>> This release brings some valuable improvements and fixes some bugs.
>>
>> If you can, some tests of this release candidate (load tests and/or
>> functional tests) with Java 5/6/7 on Linux/Windows/Mac OS on changes are
>> welcome.
>>
>> New and Noteworthy with some screenshots to illustrate improvements and
>> list of changes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/docs/changes.html
>>
>> JMeter is a Java desktop application designed to load test functional
>> behavior and  measure performance. The current version is targeted at
>> Java 1.5+.
>>
>> Archives/hashes/sigs and RAT report:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-2.7RC1/dist/
>>
> Unfortunately there are some packaging errors.
>
> The contents of the source zip file should exactly match the contents
> of the tag when checked out on Windows (EOL=CRLF), likewise for the
> tar and tag on Unix (EOL=LF)
>
> However that is not the case for me on Windows.
>
> The collapse.png and expand.png files in the extras directory are
> corrupt in the zip archive.
> This is likely because they are are not being treated as binary.
>
> I can fix that in build.xml
>
> Also, the file xdocs/overview.html is different in the tag (2.6) and
> the source archive (2.7)
> Dunno how that happened.

overview.html is updated by ant task distribution (and not with ant
docs-site)

The last svn commit (from the current
http://wiki.apache.org/jmeter/ReleaseCreation) is before the first ant
distribution.