Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> on 2011/10/12 18:07:45 UTC

0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Currently common, hdfs and mapred create partial tars which are not usable
unless they are stitched together into a single tar.

With HADOOP-7642 the stitching happens as part of the build.

The build currently produces the following tars:

1* common TAR
2* hdfs (partial) TAR
3* mapreduce (partial) TAR
4* hadoop (full, the stitched one) TAR

#1 on its own does not run anything, #2 and #3 on their own don't run. #4
runs hdfs & mapreduce.

Questions:

Q1. Does it make sense to publish #1, #2 & #3? Or #4 is sufficient and you
start the services you want (i.e. Hbase would just use HDFS)?

Q2. And what about a source TAR, does it make sense to have source TAR per
component or a single TAR for the whole?

For simplicity (for the build system and for users) I'd prefer a single
binary TAR and a single source TAR.

Thanks.

Alejandro

Re: 0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
I think it's simplest to publish a single Hadoop tarball and users
start the services they want. This is the model we have always
followed up to now.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On 10/12/2011 09:07 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:
> For simplicity (for the build system and for users) I'd prefer a single
> binary TAR and a single source TAR.

All that is required for a release is a single source TAR.  As an
open-source project our product is source code.  We may also distribute
some derivative binary artifacts as conveniences, but those can be added
to the distribution directory by other committers after the release vote
as desired.

So it's fine if folks want to include, e.g., an HDFS-only binary package
for 64-bit linux that's convenient for sites that only wish to run HBase
and never run mapreduce jobs, but that's not what we should vote on.
Rather voters should evaluate sources.

I am +1 for creating a single source tarball for the entire release and
+0 for creating any number of binary tarballs for various subsets,
platforms, etc.

Doug

Re: 0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 <ma...@huawei.com>.
+1 for option 4.
Let the User starts required services from it.

Regards,
Uma

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 <ma...@huawei.com>.
+1 for option 4.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 <ma...@huawei.com>.
+1 for option 4.

Posted by giridharan kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for option 4

--
-Giri

Re: 0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Posted by giridharan kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for option 4

--
-Giri

Re: 0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Posted by giridharan kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for option 4

--
-Giri

Re: 0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prashant Sharma <pr...@gmail.com>.

--

Prashant Sharma
Pramati Technologies

Re: 0.23 & trunk tars, we'll we publishing 1 tar per component or a single tar? What about source tar?

Posted by Bharath Mundlapudi <bh...@yahoo.com>.
Other approach would be asking which tar to build.

mapred-tar (mapred and common)
hdfs-tar (hdfs and common)
hadoop-tar (all)

In this case, hbase can just use hdfs-tar.

-Bharath