Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Hipp <Mi...@Hipp.com> on 2006/03/14 00:03:05 UTC

'svn cleanup' no workie

So what do I do now?

C:\dev>svn up
svn: Working copy '.' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for details)

C:\dev>svn cleanup
svn: In directory '.'
svn: Can't copy '.svn\tmp\text-base\tables.cmd.svn-base' to 'tables.cmd.tmp':

Any help?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Problem with deleteing files

Posted by Paul Maddox <P....@signal.QinetiQ.com>.
Karl,

Indeed I did, and at the time I didn't have the full information that was
asked.
As it was a long time agai, I thought I'd re-ask the question, WITH the
complete information.

I must say, I am TOTALLY dismayed at the complete lack of help, and
overwhelmed by the amount of 'winging' about correct 'ettiquette' for
threading.

I would appreciate some help with this soloution, if you CANNOT help, then
please please, don't winge and complain about my posts.

Paul

Posted by Paul Maddox <P....@signal.QinetiQ.com>.
Phil,

> Please do not hijack threads.  You probably did not do this
> intentionally, but you chose to reply to a message from Michael Hipp
> with the subject "Re: 'svn cleanup' no workie" which causes it to be
> filed as part of that thread.

my appologies, I assumed the mail software was more intelligent.

my mistake,
I'll start another thread.

Paul

Re: Problem with deleteing files

Posted by Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com>.
Please do not hijack threads.  You probably did not do this
intentionally, but you chose to reply to a message from Michael Hipp
with the subject "Re: 'svn cleanup' no workie" which causes it to be
filed as part of that thread.  This means that people who are reading
the original thread will see your reply that has nothing to do with it
and be confused and upset at having wasted their time on an unrelated
subject, and those who are ignoring the original thread because they are
not interested will never see your message, which they might otherwise
be interested in.

In the future, do not post new messages by replying to another random
message to the mailing list and change the subject; start a new message
if that's what you are doing.

Re: 'svn cleanup' no workie

Posted by Michael Hipp <Mi...@Hipp.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Did something special recently happen with tables.cmd? Was it just
> added, or deleted, or moved to or from where it is now?
>
> Alternately, is there a case sensitivity issue—do you have for example
> both tables.cmd and TABLES.CMD?

System A edited tables.cmd which had otherwise gone unchanged for quite
some time, committed it and then this lock/cleanup problem arose on
System B when I tried to update. I've checked both machines and there is
no sign of anything other than a pure lowercase tables.cmd.

I found a number of articles blaming this sort of problem on case
insensitivity, but I can find no evidence for it here. And the stated
solutions for same were no help.

Alas, to get around the problem I removed a number of large things from
the repo (I'll add them back later sans history) so I could destroy my
working copy and re-checkout. That seemed to be the only way I could get
back working again from a 24 kbps dial-up.

But this has shaken my confidence in svn as my working copy was useless
and the bulldozer method of fixing it is inelegant and often infeasible.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: 'svn cleanup' no workie

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: 'svn cleanup' no workie

Posted by Michael Hipp <Mi...@Hipp.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2006, at 01:03, Michael Hipp wrote:
>
>> So what do I do now?
>>
>> C:\dev>svn up
>> svn: Working copy '.' locked
>> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
>> details)
>>
>> C:\dev>svn cleanup
>> svn: In directory '.'
>> svn: Can't copy '.svn\tmp\text-base\tables.cmd.svn-base' to
>> 'tables.cmd.tmp': The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> So does .svn\tmp\text-base\tables.cmd.svn-base exist?
No.

 > Should it?
I dunno, that's internal to svn.

> Do you
> have a file tables.cmd in your working copy?
Yes.

> What version of Subversion are you using?
 >svn --version
svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
    compiled Jan 15 2006, 23:18:48

Thanks,
Michael

Re: 'svn cleanup' no workie

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 14, 2006, at 01:03, Michael Hipp wrote:

> So what do I do now?
>
> C:\dev>svn up
> svn: Working copy '.' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
>
> C:\dev>svn cleanup
> svn: In directory '.'
> svn: Can't copy '.svn\tmp\text-base\tables.cmd.svn-base' to
> 'tables.cmd.tmp': The system cannot find the file specified.

So does .svn\tmp\text-base\tables.cmd.svn-base exist? Should it? Do