Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/03/26 07:41:14 UTC

RE: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Patrick,

I'm replying to you on general@incubator.apache.org.  The projects@ list is
a catchall for projects that don't have their own list, but the place where
you want to discuss a proposal is general@.

There are other meta-data projects within the ASF, and meta-data is
certainly becoming a key issue.  Container projects such as Avalon,
Geronimo, Hivemind, etc., are a few of the once that could benefit from
meta-data.

You basic "service provider" approach of using an implementation-agnostic
user side, and implementations for various meta-data implementations looks
like a good way to address the problem.

Have you approached any of the projects, such as Geronimo?  If it were
accepted into the Incubator, where would you expect the code to go
eventually?  And how big would you say your contributor community is today?

	--- Noel

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:22:08 -0800

Fwd: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
FYI, one more option for working with annotations (for JSR 181 impl)

-- dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Patrick,

Does the source code live in the xmlbeans cvs tree?

thanks,
dims

Posted by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com>.

Posted by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com>.
At 12:38 AM 3/27/2004 +0100, Leo Simons wrote:
>Noel J. Bergman wrote: [comments on stuff about JAM by Patrick Calahan]

Hi Leo.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

>it would be so cool if you (Patrick) and Leo Sutic (the guy who wrote the
>current commons-sandbox-attributes) could get together and merge these two
>codebases (commons-attributes has some strengths that jam seems to lack,
>like being smaller and having what seems like a cleaner and easier runtime
>API, and vice versa the same is true of course) into a new de facto standard.

Ok.  I will take a look at commons-attributes and drop Leo a line.

>Though I can't commit time to help coding right now, I'll volunteer to
>otherwise help you out with a quick progression through whatever process
>into whatever final destination. As to destination, jakarta-commons seems a

That would be great.  Since I'm not very familiar with these processes, any
help you can give me in this area would be invaluable.

>natural choice to me. As to process, if jakarta-commons wants the code,
>you have a CLA on file, and the code was

Right, that's what I was guessing as well.

>developed completely within an ASF repo @ xmlbeans, I don't think we need
>to have this go through incubation. It would just be up to jakarta-commons
>to accept it. The package name then would probably become
>org.apache.commons.meta or something like that.

Sounds good.  Thanks again.

-Patrick

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
Patrick,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> As to process, if jakarta-commons wants the code, you have a CLA on
> file, and the code was developed completely within an ASF repo
> @ xmlbeans, I don't think we need to have this go through incubation.

One small detail: XMLBeans, itself, is in the Incubator.  :-)  It has
neither cleared nor asked to clear it, and JAMS is a part of XMLBeans.
Therefore it does need to clear the Incubator.  But that doesn't mean it
needs to wait for the rest of XMLBeans.  It would clear on its own merits.

Other than that, your approach was spot on.  :-)  And I agree with your idea
to put Leo Sutic and Patrick Calahan together.  Good synergies.

	--- Noel

RE: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
VERY QUICK REPLY:

Looks interesting.

Some more issues to keep in mind:

 + There are users of C-A out there: Spring Framework
(www.springframework.org)
   is one of them. This means that we can't just replace C-A with JAM.
   Even though it is in sandbox, going from one API to another isn't the
   proper way to ever get out of sandbox.

 + There are users of JAM out there: XMLBeans, for one.
   This means that we can't just replace JAM with C-A.
   Even though it is in incubator, going from one API to
   another isn't theproper way to ever get out of incubator.

 + The two APIs are quite different in their approach.

But let's try a merge anyway.

I'm up for it.

/LS

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote: [comments on stuff about JAM by Patrick Calahan]
---

For those on the CC list: JAM is a metadata library combining features
of the reflection API, JSR 175, commons-attributes, JClass and some
other projects:

     http://www.pcal.net/jam

that Patrick just introduced on general@incubator. First impression:
good stuff! Seems like a much better implementation of something I
thought about here:

    http://www.jroller.com/comments/lsd?anchor=rethinking_attributes

it would be so cool if you (Patrick) and Leo Sutic (the guy who wrote
the current commons-sandbox-attributes) could get together and merge
these two codebases (commons-attributes has some strengths that jam
seems to lack, like being smaller and having what seems like a cleaner
and easier runtime API, and vice versa the same is true of course) into
a new de facto standard.

Though I can't commit time to help coding right now, I'll volunteer to
otherwise help you out with a quick progression through whatever process
into whatever final destination. As to destination, jakarta-commons
seems a natural choice to me. As to process, if jakarta-commons wants
the code, you have a CLA on file, and the code was developed completely

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Patrick,

I suggest that you to approach Geronimo and perhaps Avalon.  Avalon has
their own metadata, and it is a VERY contentious area within that project.
It seems that both might benefit from being JAMS users.

I also encourage you to approach Jakarta Commons, and take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/attributes/.  Perhaps what you are
doing should subsume/replace Commons Attributes.

It would, however, have to pass through the Incubator since XMLBeans is
still in the Incubator.  If XMLBeans were already graduated to XML, I
believe that the transfer could happen directly.

	--- Noel

RE: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
>>> Have you approached any of the projects, such as Geronimo?  If it were
>> Not yet, but that seems like a good idea - will do.
>
> I think adding JAM to Geronimo might create problems since geronimo
> uses xmlbeans rather heavily in its build process.  I don't see an
> obvious way to sidestep the circular dependency.

David, then Geronimo is already in a position to be a JAMS consumer.  I was
not suggesting that Geronimo be the landing area for JAMS.  Jakarta Commons
seems a more likely candidate for the package.

	--- Noel

Re: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
On Friday, March 26, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Patrick Calahan wrote:

> At 01:41 AM 3/26/2004 -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Patrick,
>
> Hi Noel.  Thanks for the response.
>
>> I'm replying to you on general@incubator.apache.org.  The projects@
>> list is
>> a catchall for projects that don't have their own list, but the place
>> where
>> you want to discuss a proposal is general@.
>
> Ok, thanks for the clarification.
>

>> You basic "service provider" approach of using an
>> implementation-agnostic
>> user side, and implementations for various meta-data implementations
>> looks
>> like a good way to address the problem.
>>
>> Have you approached any of the projects, such as Geronimo?  If it were
>
> Not yet, but that seems like a good idea - will do.

I think adding JAM to Geronimo might create problems since geronimo
uses xmlbeans rather heavily in its build process.  I don't see an
obvious way to sidestep the circular dependency.

>> accepted into the Incubator, where would you expect the code to go
>
> I'm not certain, but in some ways JAM like a very good fit with
> Jakarta.  I'm hoping you all can help me figure out the most
> appropriate trajectory for it, though.
>

>> eventually?  And how big would you say your contributor community is
>> today?
>
> As I say, JAM has been spun out of my contributions to Xml-beans, and
> it really doesn't yet have it's own contributor community.  Since it
> is in the Xml-beans repository, in a sense all current Xml-beans
> committers are part of its contributor community.

I took a quick peek at your website on jam, and it looks very very
interesting.  I wonder if the xdoclet2 folks are aware of it...

I would think that the best place for it now would be with the xmlbeans
project, but:
-moved to org.apache.jam package
-compiled into a separate jar, then used by xmlbeans.

Maven makes this kind of "multiproject projects" rather easy to set up,
but mavenizing the rest of the xmlbeans build could be a challenge.

Not that I am any kind of expert, but I would wait to try to make a
separate project until it has more explicit contributors.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com>.